From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: October 30, 2020 9:13 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for a laptop replacement

The iPad Pro can do everything a traditional laptop can as well if you don't mind adapting a bit.

Victor
On Oct 30, 2020, at 8:10 AM, Marie <magpie.mn@gmail.com> wrote:

´╗┐Of course that depends on usage but I would say I can safely get at least eight hours on one charge. But I am no longer what you would call a power user since I am retired and use it primarily at home.
By the way, it has 8GB ram Intel I5 processor and 128GB SSD.
If you want further info, please contact privately so as not to clutter the list.
Magpie.mn@gmail.com
Marie

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2020 7:54 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Marie, what is the battery life on the surface pro? How long can you
use it until you need to charge it?

On 2020-10-30 10:50 a.m., Marie wrote:
I do not agree with this statements regarding tablets. My Surface Pro is capable of anything my laptop can do. It is running the latest Win 10 and runs Jaws or NVDA with same results.
It also runs Office 365 without issue.

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2020 4:37 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Hi all,

A couple of things come to mind here. First, what are you intending
to do with this laptop? If you intend using it for advanced
wordprocessing, playing media files, or storing audio files or
pictures, you don't want a tablet. Tablets are great for most
things, but they cannot help you if you want to do advanced wordprocessing e.g.
adding running headers, adding attributes, adding headings, working
with tables or footnotes or prolonged co-authoring of documents. A
tablet is not a computer and cannot be used as such.

Second, the group is right, 4GB of RAM is not enough these days,
especially for Jaws with all it's extra programs. You want 8GB of RAM.

You also want a decent mike and camera so you can Zoom. Everyone's
using Zoom from ACB to schools to medical practices to university
lectures. You want both a mike and a camera! Now most of the ACB
webinars are designed for folks who are blind, so they don't care if
you don't have a camera. On the other hand, if you expect to do any
tele-medical stuff or meet with sighted friends, you'll want a camera.
After all, your doctor wants to at least see you.

size of hard drive isn't as important with all the 1TB, 2TB and even
3TB external hard drives available for reasonable prices, but 500GB
should do you just fine.

Again, it always, always depends on what *you* are going to do with
this laptop. That is the driving force behind any decision to get a
new computer.

Ann P.