Re: Looking for a laptop replacement

Pamela Dominguez

You could get a solid state drive for your laptop. Sorry if that's been said already, but I haven't been following this thread. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 1:43 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for a laptop replacement

Brian, this is one of the reasons I'd want to replace my laptop. It has
a mechanical drive and I guess you could say I've been spoiled now that
I have an ssd in my main system. Not only that but the screen is pretty
large. This machine isn't one that is meant for portability.

On 2020-10-31 1:40 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 01:11 PM, Gene wrote:

I may comment further [re: SSDs vs. HDDs] but I'll wait to see what others
say.
-
Gene, I'll simply say that there is no question about the speed improvement, as in that the end user experiences, when using an SSD versus an HDD, and the bigger the HDD you're used to, the slower it will be simply because there is "more territory" for seeking that the read-write heads have to do on a larger capacity drive, and that is, by far, the slowest part of the processing of a HDD.

SSDs, having no moving parts, are orders of magnitude faster in data access, and since reading and writing files (even if they're temp files, browser cache, etc.) is a huge part of what any computer program is doing, at least at intervals (e.g., MS-Word doing auto save behind the scenes), an SSD really does give a huge boost to speed both at the hardware level and at the end-user experience of "zippiness" level.

It simply cannot be argued, as anyone who's dealt with both technologies repeatedly will attest.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*

https://www.avg.com