Re: Looking for a laptop replacement

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

That’s true. I am still using a 4gen I 7 with 16gb.i may eventually upgrade to an 9 or 10 gen I 7 or I 9 device with 16 gb and 512 ssd.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lenron
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:50 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for a laptop replacement

nothing less than an I5 if I have anything to say about it. I tried using a friends i3 machine when I didn't have a laptop for a bit and it was so painful. 8 gb is fine on a basic machine but 16 or more is what I want on a daily driver. Also ssd m.2 I wouldn't want to ever go back to using an hd paying that extra cost is more than worth it.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 01:11 PM, Gene wrote:

I may comment further [re: SSDs vs. HDDs] but I'll wait to see what
others say.
-
Gene, I'll simply say that there is no question about the speed
improvement, as in that the end user experiences, when using an SSD
versus an HDD, and the bigger the HDD you're used to, the slower it
will be simply because there is "more territory" for seeking that the
read-write heads have to do on a larger capacity drive, and that is,
by far, the slowest part of the processing of a HDD.

SSDs, having no moving parts, are orders of magnitude faster in data
access, and since reading and writing files (even if they're temp
files, browser cache, etc.) is a huge part of what any computer
program is doing, at least at intervals (e.g., MS-Word doing auto save
behind the scenes), an SSD really does give a huge boost to speed both
at the hardware level and at the end-user experience of "zippiness" level.

It simply cannot be argued, as anyone who's dealt with both
technologies repeatedly will attest.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they
rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and
on.*

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762