From: Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 3:43 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird help needed

Hi. Sometimes Thunderbird misbehaves after an update due to your Mail database being corrupted through some process or other. There are two Profile folders in your your Thunderbird installation, one in your User\[Name]\AppData\Local, and the other in your User\[Name]\AppData\Roaming. Short of a repair or a reinstallation, Delete these folders, then restart your pc. Start your Thunderbird and reset your accounts. Thunderbird will redownload all your emails on whatever email server you are subscribed to, plus it will recreate your profile, reset all your mail settings to the default. Then just tweak thunderbird the way you like it to work, and if your installation is not too damaged, Thunderbird will work as it should. Cheers!

On 1/11/2020 1:07 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

By the way, this same issue has been raised on the NVDA group, and there are now a number of replies saying, "I'm not having that issue." So, I'll say here what I said there . . .

As a general approach, when I hear people saying, "I'm not having a problem," while I am:

1. I do a repair install, if such is available, or download the latest installer and do an install-over install. This will often correct a problem induced by a "burp" during a software update.

2. If Step 1 does not work, then an uninstall of the offending software, a system restart, then a reinstall using the latest installer, which I download before starting the process. In many cases, and Thunderbird is one of those, uninstalling does not remove user settings unless you specify it do so. So after a reinstall your accounts, etc., are still there.