Re: Looking for a laptop replacement

enes sarıbaş

Brian,

Don't get me wrong.I am perfectly capable of using the laptop keyboard if forced too, but I have trouble with arrow keys, due to the way they are layed out as well as the insert.  But a desktop style keyboard is just so much easier to use and more ergonomic with the key combinations when using a screen reader. I would sdisagree with missing keys though, like missing a numb lock, plus or enter key, or applications key is a problem. Yes many claim the shift f10 does the same thing, but this isn't true. shift f10 does not work in all contexts that applications does, and it brings up a much larger menu than applications.

On 11/1/2020 10:38 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 02:01 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
The typing experience on a mechanical keyboard is far superior to the layouts on most laptops.
-
Enes,

           You'll get no argument from me there, and if the intention is to have a laptop as a substitute for a desktop, seldom used in carry-with mode, that's the easiest way to go.

           But a missing key or two does not make much difference to me.  There are variations galore in full-sized keyboards that you buy as external keyboards.  My point is that if you have a number pad, and you wish to use the laptop with its own built-in keyboard, that makes the process for a screen reader user much easier if they're already accustomed to desktop keyboard layout.

            And, I'll repeat, very few are missing anything of significance at all.

            For myself, and myself alone, I see no point in buying a laptop and not at least learning how to use it with it's own built-in keyboard.  Most will eventually have to do this, at one point or another, and the learning curve for the touch and reach and key locations on any new-to-you keyboard is pretty much the same.  I have had scads of clients who use only desktops, only laptops with the laptop keyboard, and laptops with an external keyboard.  But I do encourage those in the third category to make certain that they can use the built-in, if forced by circumstance.  But there's no reason to avoid an external keyboard if you prefer it for the majority of your use.