Re: NVDA, A Space Hog

Quentin Christensen

I had a look at the first option Brian suggested: SpaceSniffer

The download page is:
http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html

The direct download is:
https://www.fosshub.com/SpaceSniffer.html?dwl=spacesniffer_1_3_0_2.zip

Brian is right, everything up to actually saving the report is accessible.  I did manage to save the report using object navigation: So, first run a report, then:
1. Press "Next object" command: NVDA+numpad 6 (NVDA+shift+right arrow) until the focus goes past the vertical and horizontal scrollbars to the "Toolbar".  Note that if you go to previous object you will eventually get to another toolbar - that is a DIFFERENT toolbar!
2. On the toolbar, press Move to first contained object (NVDA+2 or NVDA+shift+down arrow).  The object navigator goes to "button".
3. Press "Move mouse to current navigator object" (NVDA+numpad divide or NVDA+shift+m).
4. Press the left mouse button click (numpad divide or NVDA+[)

That opens a file save dialog where you can specify where to save the file.

Otherwise, yes maybe use Tree Size Free *grin*

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 5:09 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Joe, this is going to have to be a collaborative effort due to a couple of complications.   SpaceSniffer is able to generate a text report, but believe it or not, it's entirely accessible until you hit the screen where you generate it.  I can't find any way to activate the Export button on that page with a screen reader.

TreeSize Free generates an exported PDF report, which most don't like, but I just found that its actual space analysis report in the program appears to be accessible, so you can go down through it line by line there once its done the scan.  Here's what I've put together as the "tutorial starter" and you'll need to give me feedback regarding what happens after the report is up and you've attempted to read through it to see what's hogging the space.  It could go perfectly smoothly or you could hit bumps.  It's your job to report back about that.

TreeSize Free Download Page – You can select either the installable version or portable version from the dropdown on that page.  Either will get the information you  need.  There is also a cluster of 3 radio buttons to indicate the region of the world for which you’re downloading:  North America/Europe/Other, followed by the Download Button.

This tutorial will presume you’ve downloaded the portable version (ZIP format) and have already unzipped it to the folder from which you wish to run the program and are sitting in that folder.

1.       Fire up TreeSizeFree.exe.

2.       Hit ALT+S,D [Scan Tab/Ribbon, Select Directory], you will then be presented with your drive options as well as a Select Directory to Scan option at the end of the submenu.  Pick what’s appropriate for what you’re doing.  I will choose a directory for the rest of this tutorial, and that directory will end up being C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA.  If you use the directory option you will be presented with a typical File Explorer navigation dialog to select the folder you want.  You can, of course, type out the path in the Folder edit box if you know it.  The choice is yours.  As soon as you've selected/typed a folder hit the Select Folder button and the scan begins.

3.       If you keep focus on the TreeSizeFree window it will begin reading out the result of its analysis when it finishes, and for folder that will be very quickly.  What starts the report is the folder or drive level you chose to scan.  Down arrowing will take you through the various subfolders and files associated with it, reading out names, sizes, etc.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager