Re: NVDA, A Space Hog

Quentin Christensen

You're welcome - I must admit, I initially got confused by the fact that if you move backwards from the edit, you get to a "toolbar" which only has one button in it - and not the one I wanted (it's the config button so you can change the properties of the report).

Re why it gets stuck in that edit, I'm not sure, something about the edit, you can arrow around it so it's not that it just ignores keyboard input, but they have done something funny to it - As far as I could find though, the only two controls you can get to on that dialog with the keyboard normally are the drop down (if you do it first up) and the edit, unless there is a shortcut key they haven't made obvious, I can't figure out how to access that save button aside from either using the mouse, or NVDA's object navigation (which basically emulates using the mouse for this task).

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 5:11 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Quentin,

           Thank you very much for "solving the mystery" I had not yet solved with regard to using object navigation to activate that button.  The text report format, and the range of available formats in text, from SpaceSniffer are definitely more screen reader user friendly than what comes in PDF from TreeSize Free.

           Although I have played with it some, object navigation still remains a personal weak point in my NVDA world.  I just don't seem to get the relationships between objects in any clear way.

           By the way, you may be able to explain this to me, why is it that NVDA "gets trapped" in the report preview part of the ScreenSniffer report generation process if you tab into it.  Once I do that I cannot extract myself no matter what I do.  I have to either close that window and start again or resort to sighted point and click to force my way out of that text box.  This is not something I've encountered before.  I could be doing something entirely wrong, but I have absolutely no idea what that might be.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager