Re: what is the differenc between thunder bird and other mail programs like outlook express?

Steve Matzura

Firstly, it's Thunderbird, one word, who knows what you'd get if you Googled it as two words.

Secondly, to more properly answer your question, this mail client is under constant development and updating, whereas Outlook Express is re-engineered from something that was obsolete by the time Windows 7 came out, and that's a long, long time ago.

Thirdly, yes, it is possible to create rules in Thunderbird to filter mesages to folders.

Fourthly, yes, it is possible to back up one's entire Thunderbird profile to ue on another system.

Fifthly, there are many native shortcuts. The scripts JAWS provides may add additional shortcut-key functions, but it's pretty straightforward access from the moment it's installed.

Sixthly, a few screenreader-specific customizations are--well--not exactly required, but do help in the long run, such as hiding screens and options one doesn't need to see in front of one all the time, like the calendar and to-do task list.

Hope this helps.

Hay I have been hearing a lot about this program thunder bird. So it was said that it is similar to outlook express. SO can you make rules for your messages; and send read receipt request? So if you make rules for your groups can you back them up in a mail back up or do you have to recreate them all over again?   I would like to know some of the keyboard short cuts that might be different in this program. Or if any one has a text tutorial for this program. I have never used this program before. I have used the windows mail app, Microsoft outlook and  outlook express 6. Does it work well with jaws or NVDA? I would like to note, jaws does not work well with the Microsoft windows10 mail app and it is better to use NVDA instead of jaws. Express does not have any issues with both screen reader programs. Microsoft Outlook does work well, however, it has way more stuff than just your basic mail program and it does not have short cuts for all the actions in the program. I can safely say not one program is perfect across  the board. Thank you, cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10