Re: Upgrading Memory and Storage

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Enes,

          Personally, I have less issue with laptop than desktop, as it's almost impossible not to have the whole stick push in to its slot correctly in a laptop because they're so short.   It's generally a simple push in, then push down, or push in while also at the same time pushing down until you hear those metal spring clips click.

          For someone who's blind, I'll bet that auditory cue is both more pronounced and more consistent than the plastic pincers making any audible signal in a desktop are.

          Removing and replacing memory is one of the simplest things there is to do, once you know how to do it.  The big challenge that I'd anticipate for someone who's blind, and who's never done this before, is actually locating the memory itself.  It's at least reasonably easy in a desktop, but you really don't want to be poking and groping around in the case if you don't have to, and there are certain other things that I'd imagine might be possible to mistake for a memory stick.

           In the case of a laptop, if it has a bay door for memory you're golden, and have instant, limited access.  However, a very great many more recent laptops, including the one I'm typing from, do not have these bay doors anymore and you have to tear down the whole machine to get to memory.  And I have no compunction about saying that your average Joe or Jane, blind or sighted, should not be doing this unless they're prepared to deal with the possible consequences of doing something wrong during the tear-down or reassembly.