Root Directory Limit

Howard Traxler

Using windows 10, 19.9, and NVDA almost latest.

Is there a limit to the number of folders on the root directory of a hard drive?  I have a 4TB WD Passport; 44 folders and 4 files. Trying to copy files into one of the folders on it from my main drive but it doesn't indicate that anything is happening.  Usually when I do this, I can review the screen and see how many folders/files,percent complete, speed, copying filename, and remaining time and files.  But this time it shows nothing so far. Reviewing the screen, somewhere it says "this folder is empty." and at the bottom it says 0 items.  I am really puzzled.

Any thoughts, please.
Howard