Thanks Gene,
Instead of letting me review the screen, NVDA just got quiet.  So I let it be for awhile.  At bedtime, the was still no speach but there was constant hard drive activity.  This morning, it was in the same condition.  So I unplugged the external drive and the activity continued.  So I forced a shutdown with the power switch.  Now, on power up, it came up normal and the target folder on the backup drive is still empty.  So now I get to start over.

Howard

On 11/8/2020 6:03 PM, Gene wrote:
It isn't logical to let it sit.  It won't cause any harm but computers aren't illogical.  If something is supposed to start to happen almost instantly and it doesn't, it usually makes far more sense to wait just a bit, like maybe ten or twenty seconds, cancel the operation if necessary, then try it again.  I'm not saying that I am sure the operation won't begin if you wait, but its very unlikely and you can do much more likely things to solve the problem.

Since there is no error message, we don't know what is occurring. If trying the operation again doesn't work, can you open files from the drive?  If you remove the drive and connect the drive again, can you do what you want? Does rebooting the computer solve the problem?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 2:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Root Directory Limit

Thanks, Brian.  That's the answer I was hoping for.  I'll just let it sit for a while; and when I come back, I find out if anything happened.

Howard

On 11/8/2020 1:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Howard,

          I can't give you an answer with regard to your specific issue that's going on, but I can about file system specifics: There is no limit to the number of files or folders that can be placed anywhere, other than those imposed by the space available to set up the structures in the file system necessary to access them.  Unless those 44 folders, or 4 files, are of a gargantuan size you'd be nowhere near to reaching physical limits on the storage device for the creation of additional files or folders.