Re: Restoring Classic ALT+TAB behavior in Windows 10, Version20H2

Hope Williamson

I've always had a sighted person near by when engaging in tech support.
Mostly because they'll ask if I can see something, the answer is
inevidably well... I don't because I can't see at all. Therefore, I'll
ask them what they can see, and report back to the person. This resulted
in someone hanging up on me once.

On 11/10/2020 12:54 PM, joanne wrote:
But as Gene said, everyone is at a different level or does some things
quite well but struggles with other facets of learning technology.
That is, I thought, one purpose of groups like this: to ask for and
receive assistance about screen readers, browsers, etc. And for some
of us it is very confusing trying to follow directions that aren't
given in a more specific or screen reader-oriented way. I admit to
asking a sighted person to be with me on the line when talking to some
tech support people, because I wasn't quite getting what the person
was wanting me to do. Not giving the phone to a sighted person, but
being with them so I could take part in doing what I could. But I
wouldn't judge anyone who for the most part depended on people; I mean
after all, if they cared enough to join the group, they too may
someday feel confident and more able to do things more independently.
I do hope people won't be afraid to seek help or ask for something to
be clarified because they have been told they should know certain
things already. I have received valuable assistance from this group,
and I have also found the courage and just plain challenging fun to
learn some things on my own. But again, we're all at different
learning levels and I think we should not be made to feel we should be
at a certain place in tech skills to be a part of this group.

Also, many of us have had training as well as being a part of tech
groups. If we received training that didn't really fully explain how
sighted people may look at or say something, that doesn't make us less
independent. We learn different ways and with different instructors,
just as every sighted person is different and at varying skill levels.