Re: Outlook 2010 Help Please.

Gene

Do most Internet providers allow you to have a lot of e-mail storage or is it important to use the local folders to avoid loss of messages you never want to lose?

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:10 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Outlook 2010 Help Please.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:18 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
When I had pop three, I had a choice whether to delete messages from the server after download or not, and I had to set which one I wanted. -
POP3 can definitely be set this way, but most default configurations don't. If you were using an e-mail client that actually asked you a preference upon setting up the account then that was an email client that was far more smartly designed than the many I've had the misfortune of dealing with.

When it first became common for people to have multiple devices I spent a lot of time trying to explain to those who set up POP3 on all of them, for the same account, why they were seeing different messages on the different devices and why those received on one were not received on the others. And since POP3 had been pretty much the only early email protocol, a lot of people made huge messes for themselves at that time by simply "copy and pasting" their account settings from device to device without realizing the likely ramifications. The fact that very few these days access email strictly on a single device was the reason that IMAP, Exchange and other server-side access protocols came into existence. And since those work perfectly well even if you are only using a single machine, they make a lot more sense to use anyway, particularly since they allow you to change either e-mail clients or computers or both, at will, without losing a single message. Set up your account again and it's all "automagically" back again - no migration necessary.

~ Madonna