Re: Outlook 2010 Help Please.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Janet,

I am more than willing to assist with the protected mode issue, if necessary.  I cannot believe that you have never opened something you've downloaded, or detached from an e-mail message, that has not behaved similarly, as this behavior is years-old.

There should be a button that allows you to, at the very least, read a MS-Word document if you find yourself in such a situation, but it has been so long since I've gotten that warning I cannot remember what the button says.  I routinely turn off protected mode for all office documents.

What follows is a very recent post on this issue, from the JAWS for Windows Group, by Bill White that may help you get around this issue:

MS Word actually has a number of features to protect you from various threats that are spread via Word files. One of these features (opens in a new tab)

in the read-only mode so it can’t affect your computer negatively.

This may be the reason why your documents always open in the read-only mode. Turning this option off should fix the issue for you.

list of 2 items

1. Open MS Word on your computer.

2. Click on the Options option at the lower-left corner and it’ll open the settings menu.

3. Click on the General tab in the left sidebar if you aren’t already there. Then on the right-hand side menu, scroll down and find the option that says

Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view.

4. Uncheck the box for the option and click on OK to save the changes.

5. The Word files you’ve received as email attachments should now open in regular mode letting you edit them however you want.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

        ~ Madonna