Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920
On 9/2/2015 6:25 PM, Robin Frost wrote:

Hi,
Well said Gene. Further more the flipside to Beth’s coin is imagine if Bard came back online but was buggy made browsers crash or machines freeze or if downloads began and then froze or were corrupted due to some back end issues. Imagine then the avalanche of complaints lobbed on email lists, forums, social media or directly at local or state libraries the latter who could do little but field calls and sympathize. Better they should take the time to fix whatever ails it or comply with whatever regulations are put upon them perhaps in the name of security by the governmental departments charged with such and get it right.
I’m all for advocacy often engaging in such myself when it comes for instance to accessibility issues with mainstream web sites or apps for smart phones. But there’s a difference between being reactionary based on little more than emotion and speculation versus informed, focused, strategic and diplomatic advocacy related dialogs with a defined purpose and end goal in mind.
Just some food for thought.
No one is threatening Bard at the present. I see no need for an all out frontal assault. No need to swing at windmills or phantom attackers that don’t presently exist.
Robin

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Fwd: BARD Outage

And it is not true that you can't get books when Bard is down even if you have no other subscription to a pay for use service.  There are a lot of books available through Project Gutenberg (spelling) that are books that are old enough to be in the public domain.  There are other such sites as well.  Librivox (spelling) consists of public domain books that people have recorded for audio listening.

And a prudent person would keep a few books available downloaded from Bard so that an unexpected outage doesn't result in a crisis.