Re: BARD Outage

Beth

Security. Oh that's important. I would like to look into epub commercial audio books that are free to download, but then what? I really wanted to read a specific book by a specific author, but alas, not available on Bard or my other download sources. Oh man.
Beth
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920
Or you can check out www.denverqueen.com for more information.
On 9/2/2015 6:25 PM, Robin Frost wrote:

Hi,
Well said Gene. Further more the flipside to Beth’s coin is imagine if Bard came back online but was buggy made browsers crash or machines freeze or if downloads began and then froze or were corrupted due to some back end issues. Imagine then the avalanche of complaints lobbed on email lists, forums, social media or directly at local or state libraries the latter who could do little but field calls and sympathize. Better they should take the time to fix whatever ails it or comply with whatever regulations are put upon them perhaps in the name of security by the governmental departments charged with such and get it right.
I’m all for advocacy often engaging in such myself when it comes for instance to accessibility issues with mainstream web sites or apps for smart phones. But there’s a difference between being reactionary based on little more than emotion and speculation versus informed, focused, strategic and diplomatic advocacy related dialogs with a defined purpose and end goal in mind.
Just some food for thought.
No one is threatening Bard at the present. I see no need for an all out frontal assault. No need to swing at windmills or phantom attackers that don’t presently exist.
Robin

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Fwd: BARD Outage

And it is not true that you can't get books when Bard is down even if you have no other subscription to a pay for use service.  There are a lot of books available through Project Gutenberg (spelling) that are books that are old enough to be in the public domain.  There are other such sites as well.  Librivox (spelling) consists of public domain books that people have recorded for audio listening. 

And a prudent person would keep a few books available downloaded from Bard so that an unexpected outage doesn't result in a crisis. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 7:04 PM

Yes all this is true you just said . But nothing is perfect and there will be always someone or some places that just don’t have the same benefit of living in a large city. I have never lived in a large city or really city. I lived all my life way out in the country side! So there is lots of things others in a city has access to that I don’t but that is not their fault or any government agency or any company fault. It is my choice and some of it is in some cases I cannot do no better because of limit of income or whatever! But that is still not the fault of a company, or government agency or some service that is provided. JMT!

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 7:56 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

I'm not exactly thinking that the world owes us, but not everybody has a great library like I do. Denver, thank God has a talking book library right up the road from me. Come to think of it, it is right on Sheridan, right there and I can pop over there and look at books, but not all of us have access to a library with audible books and so on. Most of the resources I have seen have commercial privacy all over them. I've got an SSI check, not enough to subscribe to monthly Audible dot com, so I rely heavily on some of the resources NLS provides. I don't want anyone to think "the world owes someone this" but there's places in the U.S. where books are out of reach, and families often have control of our finances as a general rule. I lived in Titusville, penniless for years, had no way my parents would get me an Audible account. Now that I live in Denver, I'm not penniless, but still, I am too poor to afford monthly subscriptions amounting to $20 or more. I try to calculate how much I can afford but if it's yearly, I can deal with that so long as money is saved, but hardly it is. I still have the tech bills to pay, rent to pay, etc. I'm lucky I can pay that at all. The weird thing is my rent went down six bucks this month and next. But here's the deal: I'm trying to see things from the perspective I once held in Titusville in Florida, a rural town with no access to adult reading content, and I had no money to handle via credit card, which okay, I got numbers wrong, but most book subscriptions I know of require a credit card. Most of the blind I've associated with are controlled or cajoled by families, or they live with families. My own boyfriend isn't much for books, but he should be if he wants to be. Bard would be his only resource for books because he has no credit card. I have no clue where the Phoenix talking book place is, so yeah. Technical problems like this are a huge deal when the person in question is unable to use a credit card, can't because of family, or doesn't have the right up the road access that I do.
Beth

On 9/2/2015 5:35 PM, Matt wrote:

No I don’t think it is at 80 percent of the books any more at all. There is too many resources out there for us. They don’t owe you anything it is a service that the government provides for us free thru tax payer dollars. They don’t have to provide the service. Also it is a pain but yes you can go to the local library and pick up some audio books and brail books and other books to be scanned in and read to you. So it is not like the library is not accessible to us! Stop thinking everyone and everything owes us blind people something special. Yes we should have reasonable commendations and yes we should if at all possible have every opportunity to do what most of our seeing people can do. But just remember there is a lot of other type of handicaps than just blindness. A lot of them handicap people don’t get near what we get in help! So appreciate what we have and thank goodness we are a live and can enjoy some of these things! JMO!

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 6:54 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

Marie,
I understand I should be patient, but patience never paid off. We blind people can't just go to a library and pick up books we like, and Bard is for some about 80% of book access, so you have to admit that this error is unprecedented, but I say it's unacceptable because it's not good for the public eye for the site to be down for this many days. Remember the Congressional Kindergarten class that resulted in the shutdown? Well, because of a Tea Party full of greed, we lost access to books, and that's unfair. I won't let that happen to me or thousands of other readers.
Beth

On 9/2/2015 3:34 PM, Marie wrote:

Beth,

I understand your frustration with the Bard site but you must admit they have done a very creditable job of providing us with the digital books and the mobile app which is great. I would think we could have a little patience with their current difficulties. I am sure they are working hard to fix the problems and will have the site up as soon as they can.

Marie

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:40 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] Fwd: BARD Outage

This is the latest I have on Bard from Colorado's Talking Book Library, and I'm going to literally fudge the Congress people if they can't get us back our books soon. No more errors! Please!
Beth

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject:

BARD Outage

Date:

Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:18:37 -0600

Teresa Kalber mailto:kalber_t@...

To:

Beth Taurasi mailto:thebluesisloose@...

Good morning,

If you are a BARD user you may have noticed that the BARD website and mobile app have not been accessible over the last day. The following is a message from the National Library Service regarding this issue:

“NLS is experiencing technical problems with communication channels administered by the Library of Congress that are necessary to run BARD. We are making every effort to fix the problem and restore service.”

This is all the information we have at the present time.

We will send out another message as soon as BARD is back up and running.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Sincerely,

Colorado Talking Book Library

Teresa Kalber
Network Systems Administrator
Colorado Talking Book Library
303.727.9277  |  Mobile   |  Fax 303.727.9281  |  Toll-free 1.800.685.2136
Kalber_T@...  |  www.myctbl.org
180 Sheridan Boulevard, Denver, CO 80226

Image removed
                                    by sender. Colorado

Department of Education Logo

Image removed
                                    by sender. Facebook

Icon  Image removed
                                    by sender. Twitter Icon  Image removed
                                    by sender. YouTube Icon  Image removed
                                    by sender. Linkedin

Icon

Email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  Therefore, email cannot be used to transfer files containing personally identifiable information of educators or students.  Contact the intended recipient to mutually determine enhanced security options for transferring such information.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.