From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:29 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Apple vs Windows?

Hi Gene,

Well that is quite frankly naive. i used to be on the private beta team
and when I got a bit too uppity and criticized JAWS for falling somewhat
behind NVDA on a few specific issues, I was canned!

On 11/19/2020 11:08 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know who he works for now, if anyone. He specifically addresses work he does for JAWS in his presentation. he states that he used Apple a great deal for a few years but he is now moving or has moved back to Windows.

Jonathan Mosen may still do work for Freedom Scientific but it is probably on a freelance basis. My opinion is that he keeps a strong separation between his personal writing and appraisals and his work for whomever he works for. And this presentation doesn't advocate using JAWS.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:57 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Gene,

With all due respect to Jonathan Mosen, doesn't he now work for one of
the big guns: JAWS or some other Windows-based company? I am using both
Windows and Apple products. I find browsing the web with the iPhone just
about as easy as with Windows. This is despite the extra relatively new
(for me that is) mastery of the touch gestures necessary to use an
iPhone. I would love to try a Mack desktop system, but at this time,
the big issue with Apple desktops is the price. I can get a decent
Windows machine for under 500 dollars US while a decent mid priced Apple
desktop costs beginning around 1000 dollars US.

On 11/19/2020 10:23 AM, Gene wrote:
Here is a long essay about why Jonathan Mosen, after using both Windows and Mac computers extensively, has gone to just Windows.
https://mosen.org/saying-goodbye-to-the-mac/
As you will see, he discusses certain specific uses that may not bee of concern to many users. But he does address this or that use that would be of interest to a large number. I haven't read the whole essay but he does specifically say that working with PDF documents is easier in Windows and web browsing is easier.

I'm not making any generalizations. I am saying that if you do well with whatever you use and it meets your needs well, why go through the trouble of learning a new operating system unless you just want to.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:12 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I'm not sure there is an answer. for the typical user, I doubt there is a
meaningful advantage one way or the other. I won't use Apple computers
because I know Windows and it isn't worth my time and effort learning
another operating system when I am already very profficient in one.

there may be some specific uses that are better dealt with in apple
computers and some in Windows but I don't think, as I said, that for the
typical user, it matters.

Then there is the cost of Apple computers. You pay a lot more.

I won't comment on mobile devices. I haven't used smart mobile devices.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Dave
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:08 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Apple vs Windows?

Hello,

For those who have both, or experience with both Systems, Which has the
better support when it comes to over all Accessibility?

Not trying to start World War 8, but I keep noticing lots of articles
and pod casts explaining Apple Accessibility features. this would cover
the Apple Mac, the I-Pad, and the I-Phone.

I don't own an Apple products, but am open to it. With what seems to be
an increase in articles, over the last year or two, it just had me
wondering how good are the Apple products?

I find all the Operating Systems to be lacking when it comes to
Accessibility. Seems like we move ahead one or two steps, then take a
step or two back.

I personally use Windows and Android. have yet to own anything Apple.

Grumpy Dave

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"