From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 08:20:17 -0800
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Apple vs Windows?

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Your post is verging on personally abusive and such posts will not be
allowed if continued in any regular or recurring pattern.
-
Gene, then I'll be happy to leave.  There seems to be this notion that all
assistance has to "be nice."  Well, it doesn't, and very often, it
shouldn't be.  We're dealing with adults here, and elsewhere, and I expect
that adults know that effort will be necessary to learn any thing, and
also know and accept the following:

It is impossible to help individuals who will not listen to advice unless
they like that advice. Being a good assistant is not about making the
person assisted "feel good," but about both asking the right (and
sometimes hard) questions as well as giving the information necessary to
achieve the desired result. Getting help is a two-way street, and those
asking for help have work they must do, too, when asked. They also need to
be ready to let go of what they'd like to do, and instead do what's called
for.

It is not possible to help those who don't want to "do what's called
for."  And, for the record, I'm not trying to "encourage people" in every
instance, or even many instances.  I'm trying to get them to actually do
something they should have already been doing, and supplying the exact
information they need to do it, which I did here.

Giving a well deserved wake-up call is not abusive, it's necessary in many
cases.  This is one of them.

If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you're always
going to be disappointed.

~ Madonna

--
Lenron Brown