From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Norman
Sent: November 20, 2020 6:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Apple vs Windows?

I just came across this thread today, started a reply, discarded it, but now can't resist. While Brian's messages were maybe a bit out of line, i can't help but agree with the sentiment he expressed. Sadly though, It could have been worded a bit more diplomatically. My first reaction when i saw the thread had gotten combative was why do we have to go down this road again? It happens every month or so. The reaction now that he has left by a few list members though has been the most disturbing to me.

And with that having been said, i'm going to go on a bit of a rant about some people's ungratefulness, Sorry Jean.

Further back on this email thread ribbons were being discussed, some people like them and some do not. Brian in the spirit of helpfulness posted 3 different links to guides on how to navigate them from a blind perspective, I ask you, is that not considered helpful? What more can one do? We can say anything to try and help people but if said people refuse to read said material, there is nothing more we can do. Just because the thread degenerated into a bashfest because of undiplomatic statements from one side, and oversensitive reactions from the other shouldn't detract from the help that was already given.

And now that brian has left we get sulky comments like this.

Good riddence.

I agree. I’m not even sure why he’s here.

I agree.  He has been a troublemaker on every list he has infiltrated.  Once again, it should be pointed out that much of his arrogance and disrespect stems from the fact that he is totally sighted and has little patience for dealing with fellow blind list members who lack his advanced level of expertise.

Ungrateful, idiotic and untruthful statements like the ones above make me ashamed i have to be part of the blindness community. Yes i'm blind, and if i had a choice i would be sighted. And if i was i'd leave people like the ones who made those statements alone to figure out there own issues. Brian has been a long standing and helpful member of this comunity and i'm grateful that there are still sighted people willing to help us blind people develop our knowledge and indipendence. So since i'm blind, and don't have a choice in the matter i will accept that, try and gracefully accept help where needed and in turn help others where i can irrespective of if they're sighted or not.

In closing, i'll just make this statement . We all have equal oppurtunity on this earth, regardless of if we're sighted or not. Just keep this in mind, equal oppurtunity doesn't necessarily mean equal outcome.

On 11/20/2020 6:19 PM, chris judge wrote:

I agree. I’m not even sure why he’s here.

I agree.  He has been a troublemaker on every list he has infiltrated.  Once again, it should be pointed out that much of his arrogance and disrespect stems from the fact that he is totally sighted and has little patience for dealing with fellow blind list members who lack his advanced level of expertise.

Gerald

On 11/20/2020 12:14 PM, chris judge wrote:

Good riddence.

From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 08:20:17 -0800

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM, Gene wrote:

Your post is verging on personally abusive and such posts will not
be allowed if continued in any regular or recurring pattern.

-
Gene, then I'll be happy to leave.  There seems to be this notion that
all assistance has to "be nice."  Well, it doesn't, and very often, it
shouldn't be.  We're dealing with adults here, and elsewhere, and I
expect that adults know that effort will be necessary to learn any
thing, and also know and accept the following:

It is impossible to help individuals who will not listen to advice
unless they like that advice. Being a good assistant is not about
making the person assisted "feel good," but about both asking the
right (and sometimes hard) questions as well as giving the information
necessary to achieve the desired result. Getting help is a two-way
street, and those asking for help have work they must do, too, when
asked. They also need to be ready to let go of what they'd like to do,
and instead do what's called for.

It is not possible to help those who don't want to "do what's called for."

And, for the record, I'm not trying to "encourage people" in every
instance, or even many instances.  I'm trying to get them to actually
do something they should have already been doing, and supplying the
exact information they need to do it, which I did here.

Giving a well deserved wake-up call is not abusive, it's necessary in
many cases.  This is one of them.

If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you're always
going to be disappointed.

~ Madonna