Re: running out of space on windows 7

Terry Olandese

Would you please give me steps to accomplish this? I’ll put them in a document and keep them when I need them again. Thanks.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] running out of space on windows 7

To add to Steve's post, the usual culprits are in, your users/yourname directory, the windows/temp directory and the windows/prefetch directory.  These locations accumulate huge numbers of temp files that your system don't need after running a process, so cleaning them up should solve your space problems.  Constant maintainance of this nature will help enormously.

On 23/11/2020 10:49 pm, Steve Matzura wrote:

Firstly, when you deleted the mail account, did you also make sure to delete its data, wherever that might be stored? Outlook keeps these big giant .PST files. If one of those is still hanging around from that now deleted email account, find it and delete it, too.

Secondly, you could always run cleanmgr (from the "Run" dialog or the command prompt) and check the places where you want Windows to look for potential files to remove for you.

On 11/23/2020 9:08 AM, Terry Olandese wrote:

Hello! I’m using windows 7, jaws 14, Microsoft outlook 2010. I have a small hard drive. It’s a solid state drive and I’m finding out that I have no room to download anything. I’ve had this problem before, but I can’t remember what I had to do to fix it. I have no music in my music folder, nothing in my download folder. I seem to remember that I had to get rid of temp files or something like that. Please help. I’ve deleted a mail account that had tons of mail in it, but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.