Re: running out of space on windows 7

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Gene.  You are correct in that your system drive should be just that.  All other stuff should have their own storage space, hence the recommendation, or rather the need for extra external hard drives or other storage media.  But the system drive needs to be maintained to keep it running healthy for as long as is possible, and so computer maintainance, so vital and yet so often sadly overlooked must take place at least once a week or at shorter intervals if you can manage it.  It is amazing the amount of unwanted files a computer can accumulate in it's routine tasks,  Unnecessary files not only take up space, they also slow down your system causing a drain on your PC's resources and also drag down your PC's processing capability, thus shortening it's life.  Thus maintaining your system is vital in the long run. Cheers!

On 24/11/2020 5:56 am, Gene wrote:
Even so, you may just not have enough storage and you may well run out of room in a year or two or less, whatever you do.  If you don't have one, it may well be time to get an external USB drive for storage.  If you accumulate new material significantly over time, what you are doing now is likely just a stop-gap measure.  Also, do you back up your files?

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] running out of space on windows 7

To add to Steve's post, the usual culprits are in, your users/yourname directory, the windows/temp directory and the windows/prefetch directory. These locations accumulate huge numbers of temp files that your system don't need after running a process, so cleaning them up should solve your space problems. Constant maintainance of this nature will help enormously.

On 23/11/2020 10:49 pm, Steve Matzura wrote:

Firstly, when you deleted the mail account, did you also make sure to delete its data, wherever that might be stored? Outlook keeps these big giant .PST files. If one of those is still hanging around from that now deleted email account, find it and delete it, too.

Secondly, you could always run cleanmgr (from the "Run" dialog or the command prompt) and check the places where you want Windows to look for potential files to remove for you.

On 11/23/2020 9:08 AM, Terry Olandese wrote:

Hello! I’m using windows 7, jaws 14, Microsoft outlook 2010. I have a small hard drive. It’s a solid state drive and I’m finding out that I have no room to download anything. I’ve had this problem before, but I can’t remember what I had to do to fix it. I have no music in my music folder, nothing in my download folder. I seem to remember that I had to get rid of temp files or something like that. Please help. I’ve deleted a mail account that had tons of mail in it, but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.