Gene,

This actually gives me another idea, most of the time after I read a message I immediately delete and then like you there are times when I realize either right away or later on that I should've sent a reply to that message. Up to now I've always just gone into my trash folder in thunderbird trying to find the message and sometimes I find it and sometimes I don't, but since you mentioned going back to the site and searching there for messages I want I'll try that next time. Hopefully what I'm looking for will be easier to find on gmail.com than it often tends to be in thunderbird's trash.

Troy

On 11/24/2020 7:53 PM, Gene wrote:
Aside from disk space on the machine, its an interesting qquestion about whether, when you delete a message on the machine, if that message is deleted from the actual Gmail site.  I'm not sure and I'm not sure if you can set the e-mail program to do that.  I haven't seen any discussion of that in this thread exce;pt for what I said and it would be interesting to find out.

I would rather have my old messages on the site because, at times, I want to go back and look at something I might have no idea I would have wantted to when I got the message.

Sometimes, I want to reply to something I delete after I delete it and it remains on the server and I can look at it in my IMAP account.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:02 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] cleaning old messages out of thunderbird

Thanks Gene, I use an iMap account.

Troy

On 11/24/2020 3:18 PM, Gene wrote:
Are you using a pop3 or an IMAP account? If you are using a POP3 account, I don't know how much disk space you would save, it depends on how many messages you delete.  If you are using an IMAP account, you won't save any disk space that matters because messages aren't downloaded until you open a message.  Then they aren't kept on your machine after you read them ieven if you don't delete them. Just the message headers are stored on the machine which takes up so little room that its negligible.

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I know that it won't save a lot of space but I want to delete messages
from not only the trash folder in thunderbird but from the spam folder
and the sent mail folder. I've been doing what Gerald suggested and just
wondered if there was a quicker way.

Troy

On 11/24/2020 7:21 AM, Gene wrote:
You are talking about using the e-mail program, not the web site, which, as I understand the question, is what is being asked about.  Also, the person didn't say he wanted to delete all the messages from the various folders. Your procedure will delete all messages from every folder where this is done.  What is wanted needs to be clarified.  Also., you are talking about emptying the messages on the machine.  If you want to actually delete the messages from the web site, when using GMail, I'm not at all sure that works when using an e-mail program.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:52 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

No, there is no option for emptying the Sent or Spam folders. The easiest way to accomplish this is to focus on the list of messages in each foler, perform a select all command (control-A) and then press the delete key to move them all in one fell swoop to the trash folder.  Then when you empty the trash folder, all the sent and spam messages will also be deleted along with the rest of the trash.

Gerald

On 11/23/2020 8:10 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I only have a gmail address in thunderbird and I see under the file menu an option to empty the trash. Is there a quick way to delete messages from the sent mail folder and the spam folder, other than going into each folder and selecting the messages and deleting them that way that is?

Thanks.

Troy