Re: Need basic Windows Laptop Ideas

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

It's nocm@juno.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lisa Belville
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 10:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Need basic Windows Laptop Ideas

Hi, Marie. If his Email addy is nocm@guno.com, I believe another lister just posted it. <grin>

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 11/26/2020 1:43 PM, Marie wrote:
Lisa, there is a guy on the Blind Ads list who sells refurbished
laptops at very reasonable prices. He installs Win 10 and will also
install NVDA and a Jaws demo if requested. His name is Kevin and if
you are interested, I will look for his contact info.
Marie

-----Original Message----- From: Lisa Belville
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2020 8:21 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi. Yes, there's that. I'm going to be providing the instruction, so
access to an OS I know, along with a screen reader I know with a voice
I'm used to would also be helpful.

I've never used Chrome before, just the Chrome Browser for Windows, and
that's hardly the same thing. I know that much at least.

We're looking at possibly a refurbished machine right now. We're still
debating options, but refurbished is cheaper and does not necessarily
imply defective equipment.

Also this isn't for a power user, so the latest and greatest isn't

a requirement.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 11/26/2020 9:30 AM, Gene wrote:
I would also want to know what speech is available if I were a blind
person planning to use the screen-reader. I would be very hard to
convince to get a system where I couldn't use Eloquence.

gene
-----Original Message----- From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2020 9:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Lisa, the Chrome os is different than Windows. There is a bit of a
learning curve so you will need to learn different commands. They aren't
hard to learn, its just a matter of practice.

Chromevox is the built in screen reader.

On 2020-11-26 8:24 a.m., Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, Chris and all.

The Chromebooks on Amazon range anywhere from $200 to $265 U.S., so
the price is definitely right. The problem here is she isn't
technically blessed. <grin> She has a Samsung phone, but she's not
proficient with it.

How similar to Windows is the Chrome OS and what kind of screen
reader is there?

I'd have to be the one teaching her, so I need something familiar to
both of us.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 11/26/2020 3:36 AM, chris judge wrote:
I was going to suggest that as well however I'm not sure how good
the low vision features are and she said her Mom could benefit from
magnification. I have a little acer chrome book here. I haven't
used it much, I bought it mainly to play with but have not much
time yet. I'm not sure how well the magnification settings work,
but for someone who wants to do basic web navigation, net flix and
other basic tasks a chrome book is certainly a viable option,
especially if the user is not married to the idea of one operating
system.

Chris Judge