Re: Kurzweil 1000, or something else?

enes sarıbaş

Hello,

Try finereader. I upgraded from 14 to 15, and OCR is massively improved especially 14 over 12. K1000 uses the finereader engine anyway.

On 11/25/2020 7:08 AM, Gene wrote:
Do you have samples of the kind of material you will be regularly scanning? I don't know if there is better OCR available, but if Kurzweil scans the kind of material you want to scan well and it is significantly cheaper to upgrade, then upgrading would probably be the better thing to do unless you get better results among material you generally scan or rarely scanned material is important to get the best results from.

I usually scan mail and paperback books. Usually, Openbook is fine for these purposes,, even an old version, version 7, which I still have on an XP machine and I use because it runs more quickly than Openbook 9 on the two different machines I have those versions on.

And you can try a demo of the latest version of Kurzweil to see if it meets your needs well.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Norman
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 6:52 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Kurzweil 1000, or something else?

The plan is to upgrade to the latest version. The question is, is k1000
still enough better than anything else to make the upgrade worth it over
just buying something else?

How old is the version you are using?  In my opinion, there hasn't been really revolutionary improvement in OCR accuracy for quite some time. That doesn't mean that you might not want to upgrade. there might be improvement enough in the kinds of material you expect to scan.  But can you use the old version with whatever version of Windows you have?  If so, why not see how it performs on material of the sort you expect to regularly scan.  Then, you can determine if you are satisfied or not with what you have.  if the version  you have doesn't run in your version of Windows, then you will have to do something.

Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Kurzweil 1000, or something else?

Hi all.

I have an older copy of kurzweil1000 that i haven't been using because i
haven't really needed OCR software. However, the time has come that i
would like to have a good OCR program again for reading books and such.
So i'm curious what people think, is it worth upgrading kurzweil to the
latest version? or is there better OCR software out there now?

I want something for a pc, not a mobile device.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.