Re: help needed please

Gene

The clear downloads option is already unchecked. You don't have to worry about the extension changing anything before you get a chance to uncheck that option if you don't want it on.

The hide download shelf checkbox is not checked by default and you must check it to have that option, which stops automatic progress announcements to be on.

From: Mike B
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 12:32 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] help needed please

Here's the article plus the extension link. The article is below the 2 links.

Article link:

https://www.addictivetips.com/web/disable-the-downloads-bar-in-chrome/

the Always Clear Downloads extension link:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/always-clear-downloads-in/efoelbbfbknfhpmgclpcdbkoieedkkai

How to disable the Downloads bar in Chrome
by Fatima Wahab, Jan 17, 2019

When you download files in Chrome, a bar appears at the bottom of the window. It shows the file that’s downloading and its download progress. You can close
this bar by clicking the close button at the right corner. It won’t impact the download. The file will continue to download and you can open the
Downloads page
in Chrome (Ctrl+J) to view download progress. If the bar bothers you and you don’t want to close it each time you download a file, you can disable the
Downloads bar in Chrome with an extension.

In order to disable the Downloads bar in Chrome, you need to install the extension found at the link below.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/always-clear-downloads-in/efoelbbfbknfhpmgclpcdbkoieedkkai

the Always Clear Downloads extension. This extension can do two things; it can clear your Downloads list, and it can hide the Downloads bar. If you don’t
want the Downloads list to be cleared, you should change its setting first.

To stop the extension from clearing downloads, uncheck the ‘Clear downloads every few seconds’ option. To hide the Downloads bar, enable the ‘Disable download
shelf option’.

That’s really all you need to do. The next time you download a file, you will no longer see the downloads bar. The download will start normally, and you
will still see the green progress indicator on the Chrome taskbar icon.

If you want the extension to also clear your downloads, you should enable the ‘Clear downloads every few seconds’ option and specify how often the downloads
are cleared. By default, the extension clears downloads every ten seconds. This might be too often but you can change it. Unfortunately, you can only specify
the time in seconds so if you want the downloads to clear after every 24 hours, you’re going to have to enter 86,400. To clear them weekly, the number
gets bigger, 604800.

A while back, there was a more popular extension for hiding the downloads bar but it has since disappeared from the Chrome web store. The reason is likely
that Chrome disabled the API the extension used to hide it.
Chrome has undergone quite a design chang
e and it’s likely that during the process, the old extension broke. This one works with the latest version of Chrome. There are others like it but they
focus on clearing the Downloads list which, again, Chrome doesn’t let you do by default.

The good thing about this extension though is that it doesn’t force you to also clear downloads. You can use just one feature and leave the other unused.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.