I can't work with most settings on the Gail page

Gene

All settings you can work with in Gmail are available in the standard view. Some, but not nearly all, are available in the Basic HTML view. When I am in Standard View and press the settings button, I see a messsage below the button that says settings not available off line. Obviously, I'm online because I'm working with the page on the Internet and I see current messages. A Google search showed no relevant results. Since I almost nevver want to change settings, this isn't a problem but because it is a puzzling problem and because I may someday want access to something, does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I have third party cookies blocked and I may try changing that setting, but Google has never complained about that setting.