From: Gerald Levy [mailto:bwaylimited@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 11:23 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thermometer

I used to own this Future Aids talking medical thermometer myself, but gave
up on it because one day when I wasn't feeling well and reached for it to
take my temperature, I discovered to my great chagrin that the batteries
were dead. The two AG12 button cell batteries that came with the unit are
not easily replaceable, and even if they were, where can you actually buy
them? This is a very uncommon battery type which is not usually sold in the
chain pharmacies. In the good old days, when Radio Shack had a store in
practically every neighborhood,you could probably buy them there. But, of
course, since it filed for bankruptcy last year, Radio Shack closed most of
its stores, and so it is no longer easy to buy those hard-to-find batteries
like the ones used in the Future Aids thermometer. What good is a medical
thermometer if it doesn't work when you aren't feeling well and need to take
your temperature? That's why I did extensive research for an alternative
and bought the HealthSmart talking Forehead/ear thermometer I mentioned in
my previous message. It runs on two AAA batteries, which are availabel
everywhere, and of course, because most of us have all these other gadgets
that run on them, we usually have them on hand. So if I ever reach for my
HealthSmart thermometer and find that it's dead, I can simply fetch a fresh
pair of AAA batteries from the refridgerator and install them in a flash and
take my temperature. I just love it when blind-products merchants like
Future Aids provide instructions for their products on their web sites, but
conveniently neglect to explain how to replace the batteries. They probably
figure that for ten bucks, you'll just throw out the thermometer when it
stops working due to dead, non-replaceable batteries, and buy a new one from
them. By the time you receive your new talking thermometer,though, you ,
like the batteries could be dead. LOL!

Gerald