Re: Lenovo Laptops.

Carolyn Arnold

As for keyboards, I usually get what I can get for $15. I tend to wear the print off the keys in a year. That is not a problem for me, but it is for my husband, especially when entering a password.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 10:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Lenovo Laptops.

These comments are long, but you may find them useful and if they encourage further discussion, you may find that useful as well.

The following comments may help you approach deciding what laptop to buy or such questions as whether you want to use an external keyboard. I haven't used a variety of laptops. My comments are intended to stir helpful discussion. While I have given you my impression regarding laptop keyboards, they are my impression and are not based on looking at a variety.

You might consider Computers For the Blind, as I said, if money is tight. I believe you use a computer for typical things, browsing, e-mail, streaming music. If money isn't tight or you just want a better computer, you may not want to. But 150 dollars for a refurbished laptop that is already configured, not that you couldn't do it yourself, a free year of JAWS, which may or may not matter if you already have JAWS, and NVDA included may make more sense. I haven't gotten a machine from them, but I've heard good things from those who have.

If you ask here, you may get comments from a number of people about whether the machines satisfy users, have good keyboards, and other ;possible questions you have. There is a real difference between five hundred dollars and 150 dollars.

Regarding keyboards, I'm not sure what choices you have on laptops. My laptop has square keys that are much larger than the keys on a mechanical external keyboard. The feel of depression is different as well. The question of keyboards would be something to discuss here. I hope others comment on such questions as:
Can you find mechanical or small key keyboards in laptops? Are you willing to use an external keyboard? My guess is that you are used to external mechanical keyboards, not membrane keyboards. Although I haven't looked into this, my guess is that most perhaps almost all laptop keyboards are membrane and membrane keyboards have a different tension and feel than a mechanical keyboard.

As far as keys being of different shapes, I'm not sure what you are referring to but laptop keyboards often have keys like home and end in different places than external keyboards. They are often differently shaped from the letter and number keys as well.
Once I got used to where the home and end keys are on my keyboard, I don't object to them and find them as easy to use as the traditional home and end keys. It may be just a case of you getting used to a laptop computer keyboard. That may be easier for some people than for others.

If you use your computer mainly at home, you may want to get a mechanical external keyboard if that is what you are used to, and it probably is.

Many people use a laptop computer for mostly home use.
Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 8:34 PM

Hi Gene and All,
I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Lenovo IdeaPad in which I recently bought. I don't particularly like the keyboard, as the keys are to flat and to large, and different shapes, and when I press a key, the key goes down into the keyboard. I also read quite a bit about how long the Lenovo Laptops last, and according to what I have been reading, they only will last two years. LOL! I paid $499, so I would like it to last a little longer, but with this particular Laptop, according to the reviews I've read, this isn't going to last long. I also read this Lenovo does overheat quite often, not sure if it is because of the Intel Processor or what. I am going to take it back to Best Buy Monday, and try to get one without the num pad, as I know Best Buy don't have Laptops with the Num Pad in their stores.
Thank you all so much for all your help, as it is greatly appreciated.

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 11:41 AM

To clarify, I'm saying that I don't have the technical knowledge to discuss the chip speed and cache that would be the best buy for the money for a typical user. If you get too underpowered or undercached a chip, you likely won't be satisfied. I'm also saying that differences in brands, which chips offer faster performance and more cache, for example for the price, and which operate more cooly, if that matters, are things I don't have the knowledge to discuss along with the best specifications per brand.

It is my impression that this or that brand may have a slower chip speed, but that other technical differences may provide faster performance than a different brand with the same chip speed.. And how much such differences matter for the typical user in terms of performance per price is something I don't know.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 11:32 AM

There are objective differences in brands and models of chips. Whether and to what extent they matter to the typical user, I don't know and I don't have the technical knowledge to discuss but there are objective differences.
it isn't just a matter of taste.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 10:24 AM

Hi Pam,

Computer brands, models, processors, speakers, it is mostly a matter of what
we are used to and what we can afford.

You know, I’m a chev guy,

I’m a Wrangler Woman,

I choose pepsi,

Coke rocks

And we won’t bother with the pizza or burgers.

Cheers,

Monte

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pamela
Dominguez
Sent: December 26, 2020 9:40 AM

My first windows computer was a Gateway 2000 tower with an AMD processor
that I got back in 2000. I was told, even back then, that AMD processors
were better. Pam.

Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 8:16 AM

Hi Josh,

I am not familiar with the current line of a m d processors, but they were
all I used till a few years ago.My impression is that a m d processors are
now a better choice, dollar for dollar, than an intel.

Of course some will disagree.

It sounds like a great machine unless you intend to do serious gaming and
video editing.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh
Kennedy
Sent: December 25, 2020 6:39 AM

speaking of LENOVO laptops, I am thinking of getting the following laptop. A
LENOVO, with 256 GB solid-state NVME Drive., and I'm sorry if I posted this
before I don't remember if I did, I amD RYZEN5 processor, eight gigs of RAM,
with this configuration of computer work good with JAWS?

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.