Re: Lenovo Laptops.

Carolyn Arnold

As for keyboards, I usually get what I can get for $15. I tend to wear the print off the keys in a year. That is not a problem for me, but it is for my husband, especially when entering a password.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2020 10:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Lenovo Laptops.

These comments are long, but you may find them useful and if they encourage further discussion, you may find that useful as well.

The following comments may help you approach deciding what laptop to buy or such questions as whether you want to use an external keyboard. I haven't used a variety of laptops. My comments are intended to stir helpful discussion. While I have given you my impression regarding laptop keyboards, they are my impression and are not based on looking at a variety.

You might consider Computers For the Blind, as I said, if money is tight. I believe you use a computer for typical things, browsing, e-mail, streaming music. If money isn't tight or you just want a better computer, you may not want to. But 150 dollars for a refurbished laptop that is already configured, not that you couldn't do it yourself, a free year of JAWS, which may or may not matter if you already have JAWS, and NVDA included may make more sense. I haven't gotten a machine from them, but I've heard good things from those who have.

If you ask here, you may get comments from a number of people about whether the machines satisfy users, have good keyboards, and other ;possible questions you have. There is a real difference between five hundred dollars and 150 dollars.

Regarding keyboards, I'm not sure what choices you have on laptops. My laptop has square keys that are much larger than the keys on a mechanical external keyboard. The feel of depression is different as well. The question of keyboards would be something to discuss here. I hope others comment on such questions as:
Can you find mechanical or small key keyboards in laptops? Are you willing to use an external keyboard? My guess is that you are used to external mechanical keyboards, not membrane keyboards. Although I haven't looked into this, my guess is that most perhaps almost all laptop keyboards are membrane and membrane keyboards have a different tension and feel than a mechanical keyboard.

As far as keys being of different shapes, I'm not sure what you are referring to but laptop keyboards often have keys like home and end in different places than external keyboards. They are often differently shaped from the letter and number keys as well.
Once I got used to where the home and end keys are on my keyboard, I don't object to them and find them as easy to use as the traditional home and end keys. It may be just a case of you getting used to a laptop computer keyboard. That may be easier for some people than for others.

If you use your computer mainly at home, you may want to get a mechanical external keyboard if that is what you are used to, and it probably is.

Many people use a laptop computer for mostly home use.