Hi Shelly,

Since the site is heading dependent, if you are using either JAWS or NVDA, pressing the letter H will move you to the next heading and if you wish to go backwards (from bottom to top) pressing shift + h will move you backwards.

For example: If you are on the book of genesis in the bible page and you wish to move to the book of Leviticus, press the H key once and you will move to the book of Exodus.  Press it again and you will move to the book of Levicicus.  Conversely, if you are on the book of Deuteronomy and you wish to go to the book of Exodus, hold the shift key down and press H once to go to the book of Numbers, Press shift + h one more time to go to the book of Leviticus and Press shift + H one more time to move to the book of Exodus.

On 12/30/2020 5:14 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Gene:

Thank you for letting me know about browsing.  No, I have no idea how to do that.  When I go to the website, I just arrow down until I find books of the Bible and then when that comes up, I go to the book I need and then just start listening to the chapter.  We are reading chapters in this class.  If you could tell me a faster way to get to my book and chapter, I would appreciate it but if there isn't, I will just continue with what I'm doing.  The thing with the Catholic Bishops website, after the chapter is done, they have a whole spiel about each verse and a summary.  I'm not interested in that.  It's hard for me to know when the chapter ends.  So when I hear each number being summarized, I know that I'm done.

Shelly

On 12/29/2020 7:47 PM, Gene wrote:
Do you use such commands as skip blocks of links on web pages and move by heading?  Also, you can move immediately to a book of the Bible by using the screen-reader's search command to find it.  You don't have to type the whole name, generally the first four letters will work in a search either on the first one or the first repetition. If I am in
Genesis, and I want to get to the links to the verses, I can do so reasonably efficiently by searching for Genesis from the top of the page again.  that serves as the title of the page and, of course, of the book. Down arrowing a few times takes you right to the verse links.

If you don't use these sorts of skills, learning about them and developing them will help you browse in many cases much more efficiently.  I'll present other suggestions of how to browse efficiently if you wish.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 10:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Website Question

Gene:

Thanks for your help.  I was able to find the book and the chapter that
I wanted.  I just have to arrow down a lot.   Glad that it's working.

Shelly

What do you mean difficult?  Press enter on the book of the Bible you want to read, then find the verse you want to read and press enter.  But without knowing what you find difficult, I might not be addressing your problem if I go into further detail.  If the problem is that you have problems finding the book you want or where the versus begin or some such problems let us know.  I've never seen a Bible site where you might not have such problems but they can be easily eliminated with navigation techniques that may help with many sites.

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 3:56 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene:

I was just telling Ron about the site you gave me.  I will definitely
try it the way you gave it to me.  When I visit the site, I put in:
usccb.org/bible/readings and then I go to books of the Bible and I found
it difficult.  Maybe this way will be easier.  I will give this a try
also.  Did you find it accessible with screen readers?  I just want to
be able to look at a list of books and pick the one I want and then look
at the chapters and then click on a chapter.  Does this site you were
telling me about work like that?

Shelly

On 12/28/2020 4:34 AM, Gene wrote:
The site Ron gave has a different version of the Bible than the newest one made available and the newest one is probably the one your class is using. I don't know if or how much it matters but if you want to use what is likely the same one, with the same introductions to books and footnotes, this site will provide it:
The site Ron gave has a different version of the Bible than the newest one made available and the newest one is probably the one your class is using. I don't know if or how much it matters but if you want to use what I suspect is likely the same one, with the same introductions to books and footnotes, this site will provide it:
https://bible.usccb.org/bible

I am not a Catholic but I suspect the version on the site Ron gave is the Scolfield Bible.  I didn't find an attribution on the site but I compared and it definitely isn't the version on the USCCB site.

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 4:14 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Website Question

       Hi Group:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that's accessible to
find books of the Bible?  I'm doing a class and would like to find a
website with the books of the Bible where I can go to the site and pick
which took I want to read and I would be able to find the chapters
easily.  I'm looking for a Catholic Bible.  If no one knows, I perfectly
understand.  Thanks in advance.

Shelly

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.