Re: my computer no longer plays wave files

Blaster

Joe, You don't really have to know what the codec files are exactly,
only that they are installed on your pc. Windows will pick and choose
which ones it wants whenever it wants one. But, Here's something else
you can try. Just in case your file associations got a little mixed
up between audio programs, you can re-associate the .wav file type
with your media player. I'm not sure if specific codecs are tied to
file associations, but it's worth a try.

Press the windows key on your keyboard and tap the letter E key to
open a file explorer window.

Navigate to a folder where you keep your .wav files.

Arrow up or down to select a .wav file.

Press the context key on your keyboard, shift key plus the F10 key if
you use a laptop, to open the context window.

Arrow up or down until you come to the selection titled "Open with"
and press the right-arrow key to open the fly-out window.

Even though media player is in this list, arrow down to the selection
titled "choose another program" and press the enter key.

In this window, Tap the tab key until you get to a list of programs,
In this list, arrow down to media player and then tap the tab key to
jump down to a check box that says always use this program to open the
associated file type.

Press the space bar to check the box and then tab to the OK button and
press the enter key.

You'll be taken back to the file explorer where your .wav file should
still be selected, so press the enter key on it and see if it opens in
media player and starts to pley.

Good luck,
Blaster

On 1/1/21, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@gmail.com> wrote:
David, just to say that your suggestion does not work with Win 7.

I looked at codecs but they are more complicated than my pay grade.

I hope you or others have more ideas.

Thank you.

Joe G.