Re: Jaws Help, Please!

Gene

That won't delete the settings in your current screen-reader and I don't expect it to delete other settings from other installations. Components aren't settings and settings aren't shared.

Shared components might be files used in a s[peech synthesizer by more than one screen-reader or by Openbook and JAWS. Opehnbook and JAWS are both Vispero (spelling) products and if you delete shared components, you may delete files they both use. You shouldn't delete shared components unless you are completely sure no remaining program will use them after the install. Its usually better just to leave them. They don't take up much room and if you are wrong, you will have inconvenience to get them back such as to install a program that places them on the machine again just to get them back.

You said this is the only setting you lost. It may be that even though you migrated your settings, you lost that one when you deleted other screen-reader versions, but if your own experience tells you that that is all you lost, that may just be what might happen and no additional care is indicated. You now know how to change that one setting.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 3:55 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Jaws Help, Please!

I did see delete shared components but I had no idea what it was. I
thought it had something to do with settings but wasn't totally sure. I
don't think we checked the box to delete them. We will have to be more
careful next time.

Shelly

On 1/1/2021 4:42 AM, Sharon S wrote:
Hi, when you uninstall older versions you get the option to delete shared components. Of course you don't want to do this. I think that would also delete your current settings.

From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: Friday, 1 January 2021 9:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Jaws Help, Please!

Ron:

Whenever I update Jaws, it always asks me to migrate my settings and I say yes. When I deleted the other versions, it didn't say anything about my settings. Since I have had Jaws 2021 for a few months and my settings were fine, I thought all would be good. Ann said that when you take the old versions off, it automatically deletes some settings. It's very strange because that's the only setting that wasn't right.

Shelly

On 12/31/2020 11:49 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

i haven't used JAWS for years as my default screen reader, but before
you delete JAWS earlier versions, you should always use the merge
settings feature or whatever the current version of that is now of
days. This will transfer all of your favorite settings from the older
version to the latest version.

I think that utility still exists doesn't it?

On 12/31/2020 4:25 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

I think sometimes people tend to forget that you can't damage
anything in Windows dialogs unless you press an OK button, so
therefore, tabbing through a dialog does not harm anything at all.

Ann P.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.