Re: I'm not sure if I have a lemon or just a trouble making computer

Gene

The message is unclear. What do you mean by the speaker control? Is that the same as the speaker port? If you are saying that if you plug headphones into the same jack as speakers and no sound is heard from the speakers but sound is heard from the headphones, I'm not at all sure why.

Buying an external sound card may solve the problem. But, and this may have no relevance, it is my impression that some computers sense when you plug something into jacks and a message appears on screen where you specify whether you are plugging in headphones or speakers. Those who have computers that do this, I hope, will discuss the matter further and whether there is anything in sound card settings that controls this behavior. For example, in computers that do this, can you mute the speakers but when headphones are plugged in, they remain unmuted? Having a sighted person look at sound card settings, one who knows enough to understand what he or she is looking at, might solve the problem. Also, I doubt an external sound card would present such problems and you may wish to try that if good sighted help is hard to find. The only thing I've noticed with my very brief trial of using external sound cards for screen-reader speech, is that I may, with certain sound cards get annoying artifacts in speech. I don't recall what they were now, perhaps clicks or pops at times. I therefore, use my internal soundcard for speech and if I want to use an external sound card, I use it for other audio.

Those who use external sound cards for computer speech may want to address the artifacts question and discuss if this is a general or uncommon problem. In my experience, the problem isn't bad, but I find it annoying and I want to avoid it. I should also add, and this may be important, that I always use headphones so the speech artifacts problem may be more noticeable with headphones and may make little or very little difference if using a speaker.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I'm not sure if I have a lemon or just a trouble making computer

The cheapest solution could be to buy an inexpensive usb sound card. I got a couple for less than 10 u s dollars on amazon.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of DAVID GLOBE
Sent: January 1, 2021 9:38 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] I'm not sure if I have a lemon or just a trouble making computer

I got this computer in 2020, Its a brand new computer running win ten and jaws 2020. Shortly after I got it, the speaker port on the back stopped working, so I plugged my speakers in the front and that was ok for a while. Now neither port works, and as strange as it may sound, I have a headset plugged in to the speaker control, and they work very well. I know the problem isn't with the speakers, as I can unplug them from the computer and plug them in to anything else and they will work just fine. My suspitions are that the soundcard is wonky. I'll be talking to my tech hopefully next week, and he can figure things out. It sure has me baffled.

David

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.