From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@...>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, January 2, 2021 1:34 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] my computer no longer plays wave files

Joe, Everything I wrote was for Windows 7, not Windows 10 as you
mentioned that in your first post. The ninite.com website removes all
adware before you download it to your PC, that's why I suggested the
K-lite codec pack, and yes it does work in Windows 7. But since it
opened and played in the media player classic it's safe to assume
you've got a working codec for .wav files installed. So, If you want
to get rid of web advisor first then go to your control panel, then
find the add and remove programs section and remove the McAffee Web
Advisor. You will probably need to remove the entire McAfee suite if
it's like all of the other McAfee products that I've dealt with in the
past. I think the only other option, that is if you want to keep the
McAfee suite, is to temporarily disable it when you need to accomplish
a task that it's blocking and I think that's got to be done in
whatever browser your using. I'm no fan of McAfee, so I'd get rid of
it, but that's your choice.

As far as the file explorer issue, I'm not sure why your getting a
different fly-out window on the open with screen, as arrowing down
should give you a list of programs associated with .wav files followed
by the choose another program option. Mike may have something there,
so try arrowing to the right instead of down to see if the menu is
horizontal. If that doesn't work, we're not sunk yet, Press the
windows key on your keyboard and type "file associations" in the type
in field and press the enter key. This should open the file
associations window, where you can skim through the list until you
find the .wav format and then choose the program you want to associate
with this file type manually. Follow the instructions at the top of
the page and see if that works for you. If you have any troubles, just
post back here to the list.

HTH,
Blaster

On 1/2/21, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
The folders in Explorer may not be in a list so, try using your right and
left arrow keys.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@...>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:05 pm

Joe, You don't really have to know what the codec files are exactly,
only that they are installed on your pc. Windows will pick and choose
which ones it wants whenever it wants one. But, Here's something else
you can try. Just in case your file associations got a little mixed
up between audio programs, you can re-associate the .wav file type
with your media player. I'm not sure if specific codecs are tied to
file associations, but it's worth a try.

Press the windows key on your keyboard and tap the letter E key to
open a file explorer window.

Navigate to a folder where you keep your .wav files.

Arrow up or down to select a .wav file.

Press the context key on your keyboard, shift key plus the F10 key if
you use a laptop, to open the context window.

Arrow up or down until you come to the selection titled "Open with"
and press the right-arrow key to open the fly-out window.

Even though media player is in this list, arrow down to the selection
titled "choose another program" and press the enter key.

In this window, Tap the tab key until you get to a list of programs,
In this list, arrow down to media player and then tap the tab key to
jump down to a check box that says always use this program to open the
associated file type.

Press the space bar to check the box and then tab to the OK button and
press the enter key.

You'll be taken back to the file explorer where your .wav file should
still be selected, so press the enter key on it and see if it opens in
media player and starts to pley.

Good luck,
Blaster

On 1/1/21, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@...> wrote:
David, just to say that your suggestion does not work with Win 7.

I looked at codecs but they are more complicated than my pay grade.

I hope you or others have more ideas.

Thank you.

Joe G.