Re: Jaws Help, Please!

Shelly Kane

The problem has been solved and I learned something out of it.  I now know that when I delete an older version of Jaws that I have to reset a few things and I can do that.  I'm very glad for this list because I learn things along the way and everyone is so knowledgeable.  I would never delete shared components.  I also don't think they have to do with settings but when that came up, something told me to not delete it and now I know never to do it. Thanks again for everything.

Shelly

On 1/2/2021 3:38 AM, Gene wrote:
They clearly don't automatically delete for the program you migrated them to if you don't delete that version.  You lost one setting. That may indicate that this one setting is lost.  I'm not even sure if its accurate that you lose settings for versions you delete.  That would need more discussion for verification. Usually, when you delete a program, the settings are kept so you can reinstall the program if you wish and still have your settings in the new installation.  I'm not saying that no programs delete ssettings, but it is not common.

You lost one setting and you can very easily change it.  That may be what happens in general and it may indeicate a bug or quirk but no extra care is indicated by this one experiendce.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 4:16 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Jaws Help, Please!

Hi Brian:

Thank you for letting me know that the settings automatically delete
when you take off old versions of Jaws.  I will definitely remember that
next time.  This is the first time it has happened. I honestly thought
things would be fine since I migrated the settings months ago when I put
Jaws 2021 on.  Happy New Year!

Shelly

On 1/1/2021 10:49 AM, Brian Zolo wrote:
Hey there, shelly, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, happy New Year! Whenever you delete older versions of jaws, your settings are deleted so whenever you install a new version of jaws, it's important that you go into the basic options and make sure that you checkbox that says start jaws at the logon screen.  The next setting is start jaws for all users and I leave that setting unchecked and then your next setting is start jaws for this user always that's a combo box and I leave mine for this user and the go to okay and hit your space bar and then just tab on over to lkay again and hit your space bar and you're finished.  I sure wish that vispero would add something to the installation that asks you whether you want to keep your settings so that you don't have to keep doing this as it sure would make things much simpler for folks, grin!  BZ!