Re: Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

chris judge

I believe once narrator is running the next screen will show your available networks. It’s been a while since I’ve set one up so can’t remember for sure, but I was able to do everything with only my cats for guidance, and they sure weren’t much help. Smile.

Chris Judge

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: January 3, 2021 3:51 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

Hello Joyce,

I cannot tell you why this was the case for you, but I can assure everyone that, in most cases, you will not encounter any difficulties whatsoever launching Narrator, even at the setup screen, before WiFi. Narrator does not need network access to run.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 10:59 AM Joyce Feinberg <joycefeinberg@...> wrote:

Hi Chris and Janet,
I recently received a brand new laptop and a brand new desktop in the household. When it was turned on, it came up to a screen and I tried to activate narrator. Narrator would not activate until I got through the start up process. Neither computer was set up on a direct link to the router, they both needed to be set up as wireless.
Some of the initial set ups were to set up a username and password/pen which seems to now be required as I have been unable to disable it. It also helped you set up your wireless network as well as got you into one email address. Depending on what you purchased with the laptop, those apps will be on the desktop when it gets logged in. On the laptop, it was only recycle Ben and Microsoft edge. On the desktop it also included the icons for office 365 which I just configured to my current user login.
I figure that Best Buy will have some type of Internet access which should allow them to assist you in getting through the initial start up screens. I did need sighted assistance until I was able to get logged in I am set up on the wireless Wi-Fi. Once I was at the desktop, I was able to activate narrator which then allowed me to load up my screen reader program. Once the screen reader of my choice was active, I performed the update to the latest windows and started to download additional apps and programs that I currently use.
Hope this information helps you out, but Best Buy should be able to assist you in getting through those initial start up screens which are not accessible with narrator.

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.