Re: Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

Nimer Jaber

I know nothing about you or your tech skills. What I do know is that you said it wasn't working, and then you said that it was working and it would say narrator on or narrator off. So that suggests to me that you don't know how to use that screen reader. It suggests to me that possibly, you have lost focus. it's suggests to me that maybe the computer was not fully booted. it suggests to me that any number of things could have been the problem, but the problem was not that narrator did not work. You heard narrator speak. you say it didn't say much other than narrator on or narrator off but there are a number of reasons for that that we can explore. I'm not trying to assume what your tech skills are, but saying that narrator does not work until you connect an internet connection is simply not true. I have set up many many many machines, and none of them have required an internet connection before narrator works. I have also walked through setting up machines for a number of individuals remotely, and same thing, narrator works before you set up an internet connection. in fact, you can use narrator to set up that internet connection.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021, 14:31 Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Nimer,

How can you say Narrator was working when ever I turned Narrator on by pressing Control, Windows, enter, Narrator would turn right back off?

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 4:22 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

The fact that you got any speech at all tells me that narrator was working, and it's possible that you may need some assistance learning how to use narrator in order to actually make it work for you. As for whether or not a machine has been set up already, if a machine is brand new, out of the box, narrator will work. As for that other female voice that you heard, that is the assistant that comes on to help you through the setup process.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021, 14:12 Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Nimer,

I could not get anything out of Narrator other then Narrator is on and then Narrator is off, there for, Narrator was not any help to me.  I pressed the Control, Windows, Enter keys, to turn Narrator on, but again Narrator on and Narrator off.  I’m just not for sure how some blind people say they can get Narrator to work and followed the promptes, and some can’t.  As you said maybe I wasn’t at the set up screen, and that could very well be, but if I have no speech, I have no way of knowing that.  Narrator did not automatically come on when I turned on my Laptop either though.  Although, some woman’s voice came on but went off.  Now that Laptop was strait out of the box, so do I need to have someone to put the screen in some order? So, again, I would need a sighted person to do that.  I’m beginning to think it all depends on if the PC or Laptop is strait out of the box, or has someone already changed some settings on the machine.

Thank you for all this.

Janet