Re: Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

Nimer Jaber

I know nothing about you or your tech skills. What I do know is that you said it wasn't working, and then you said that it was working and it would say narrator on or narrator off. So that suggests to me that you don't know how to use that screen reader. It suggests to me that possibly, you have lost focus. it's suggests to me that maybe the computer was not fully booted. it suggests to me that any number of things could have been the problem, but the problem was not that narrator did not work. You heard narrator speak. you say it didn't say much other than narrator on or narrator off but there are a number of reasons for that that we can explore. I'm not trying to assume what your tech skills are, but saying that narrator does not work until you connect an internet connection is simply not true. I have set up many many many machines, and none of them have required an internet connection before narrator works. I have also walked through setting up machines for a number of individuals remotely, and same thing, narrator works before you set up an internet connection. in fact, you can use narrator to set up that internet connection.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021, 14:31 Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Nimer,

How can you say Narrator was working when ever I turned Narrator on by pressing Control, Windows, enter, Narrator would turn right back off?

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 4:22 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.

The fact that you got any speech at all tells me that narrator was working, and it's possible that you may need some assistance learning how to use narrator in order to actually make it work for you. As for whether or not a machine has been set up already, if a machine is brand new, out of the box, narrator will work. As for that other female voice that you heard, that is the assistant that comes on to help you through the setup process.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021, 14:12 Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Nimer,

I could not get anything out of Narrator other then Narrator is on and then Narrator is off, there for, Narrator was not any help to me.  I pressed the Control, Windows, Enter keys, to turn Narrator on, but again Narrator on and Narrator off.  I’m just not for sure how some blind people say they can get Narrator to work and followed the promptes, and some can’t.  As you said maybe I wasn’t at the set up screen, and that could very well be, but if I have no speech, I have no way of knowing that.  Narrator did not automatically come on when I turned on my Laptop either though.  Although, some woman’s voice came on but went off.  Now that Laptop was strait out of the box, so do I need to have someone to put the screen in some order? So, again, I would need a sighted person to do that.  I’m beginning to think it all depends on if the PC or Laptop is strait out of the box, or has someone already changed some settings on the machine.    

Thank you for all this. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 3:40 PM

I recommend anyone to join the Windows 10 mailing list for additional help on Windows 10. Fact is, Narrator has never needed Internet to be turned on. As I stated, there are other possible reasons for why Narrator did not turn on. These could be that you were not at the setup screen before turning on Narrator, your volume was low with the built-in speakers therefore necessitating maybe plugging in some headphones, an inadvertent keypress got you to a different screen, you were not familiar with the keys on your laptop (I say this because the control key moves from laptop to laptop), so on and so on. The possibilities are endless as to why this did not work, but let me assure and reassure anyone looking to buy a computer that Narrator will, indeed, come up at the setup screen, no Internet access required, no update required so long as the laptop in question has Windows 10. Same goes for a phone. Phones do not need Internet access to enable accessibility at the setup screen. Anyone providing this information needs to know that this is misinformation and simply isn't true.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 1:27 PM Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Joyce,
Thank you so much for this, as this all makes sense.  People kept telling me to just turn on Narrator and follow the prompts, but that didn't happen.  What you are saying does make much more sense, there is more to setting up Windows for someone who has no speech than what many people are thinking.  I also think  this is a learning experience for all of us.  Now I know what to tell Best Buy what I need them to do for me, as they are trying to help me as much as they can, and they don't know anything about Narrator, and I don't expect them to, as me as a blind person, I don't even know anything about Narrator,as I've never used it either. 
Thank you so much again. 

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joyce Feinberg
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 12:59 PM

Hi Chris and Janet,
I recently received a brand new laptop and a brand new desktop in the household. When it was turned on, it came up to a screen and I tried to activate narrator. Narrator would not activate until I got through the start up process. Neither computer was set up on a direct link to the router, they both needed to be set up as wireless.
Some of the initial set ups were to set up a username and password/pen which seems to now be required as I have been unable to disable it. It also helped you set up your wireless network as well as got you into one email address. Depending on what you purchased with the laptop, those apps will be on the desktop when it gets logged in. On the laptop, it was only recycle Ben and Microsoft edge. On the desktop it also included the icons for office 365 which I just configured to my current user login.
I figure that Best Buy will have some type of Internet access which should allow them to assist you in getting through the initial start up screens. I did need sighted assistance until I was able to get logged in I am set up on the wireless Wi-Fi. Once I was at the desktop, I was able to activate narrator which then allowed me to load up my screen reader program. Once the screen reader of my choice was active, I performed the update to the latest windows and started to download additional apps and programs that I currently use.
Hope this information helps you out, but Best Buy should be able to assist you in getting through those initial start up screens which are not accessible with narrator.
> On Jan 3, 2021, at 12:21 PM, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@...> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> When I got my dell XPS in March of 2019 I was able to completely set it up without sighted assistance. This pc has both wired and wifi connectivity. I can't recall now if I had hard wired it to the internet before I began, or if I used wifi, but I had no issues starting narrator at the beginning. I hadn't heard that narrator won't run unless the computer is connected to the internet and I don't think that is the case.
>
> I'm surprised someone hasn't done a demonstration on some podcast going through the steps of setting up a pc from scratch. I am considering picking up a new laptop for the specific purpose of recording it's set-up, but I won't have time to do it for a couple of weeks as it's back to work tomorrow and things are going to be busy for a while.Chris Judge
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joyce Feinberg
> Sent: January 2, 2021 9:25 PM
> To: main@techtalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.
>
> Hi Janet, a few things as I have just set up a new laptop.
> First, you will need sided assistance to get through the first few steps because narrator does not turn on until you are connected to the Internet. See if Best Buy will get you through to at least the desktop without an Internet connection.
> Second, after you have gotten to the desktop and loaded your screen reader you will probably need to perform an update to the Windows operating system. Although the latest windows update has been out for a few months, I still needed to update to the 2008, H2 version.
> I hope this information helps.
>> On Jan 2, 2021, at 7:41 PM, Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:
>>
>> Gene,
>> I already asked Best buy if I or them could install my Network information for me, and they said I need to be home by my Wi-Fi in order to do this.  I just might try to turn on Narrator when I am at Best Buy to see if it will work or not, because if it doesn't work, I don't know what is my next step!  LOL!
>>
>> Janet
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
>> Behalf Of Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 6:26 PM
>> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.
>>
>> I don't know what you can arrange, but it may be that the store from
>> which you purchase the computer from would have someone do it but I
>> don't know just what you are asked and if you need to provide
>> information you wouldn't want others to know.  I also don't know if
>> the store would charge to do it.Narrator shouldn't automatically turn off.
>>
>> Gene
>> From: Janet
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 6:23 PM
>>
>> Gene,
>> Several people told me to use Narrator, and that is what I did, but
>> everytime I turned Narrator on, it would completely turn right back
>> off, and so that is why I say Narrator was no help to me at all.  I
>> don't have any idea why Narrator was like that though, as I have never
>> worked with Narrator before.  I will try to use Narrator again when I
>> pick up my Laptop this coming Tuesday, and see how it works this time.
>> If it doesn't work this time, I have no speech, so there for, I won't be able to set up the Laptop.
>>
>> Janet
>>
>> Behalf Of Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 6:17 PM
>>
>> I haven't gone through the setup procedure when you first run a new
>> computer.  I doubt you can install anything until you go through it.
>> We don't know why you had the problems you had before, but Narrator
>> may not have been the problem.  Whenever I see this question
>> discussed, those who describe what they do say they use Narrator.
>>
>> Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 6:11 PM
>>
>> Gene,
>> Ok this makes sense.  I do know the information from my Router to
>> enter it, matter of fact, now that I finally thought about it, I can
>> probably connect the Laptop to my Wi-FI just like I do when I
>> connected my iPhone using my network password and security number.  My
>> Modem and Router is so old, and out dated as I've had it since 2009,
>> and I probably need a new one soon.  Do you know if I can install Jaws
>> as I turn on the Laptop, or do I need to use Narrator? Last week when
>> I tried to work with the other Laptop, Narrator wasn't any help at all.
>>
>> Janet
>> Janet
>>
>> Behalf Of Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 5:57 PM
>>
>> No, but when you connect your laptop to the WIFI, you will have to
>> enter information on your laptop to allow it to connect.  The laptop
>> will see your router but when you tell it to connect, it will ask for your security key.
>> I'm not sure if it asks for anything else.
>>
>> Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 5:53 PM
>>
>> HI Gene,
>> System Defender sounds like it will be enough for me.  Now though,
>> speaking about Wi-Fi, my current PC is connected to my modem and
>> Router, but I do know or so I've been told by ATT back in 2009, I do
>> have WI-FI connections with this Modem and Router, but I'm now wondering will I need to do
>> something to my Modem or Router in order to connect my new Laptop    to
>> Wi-Fi?
>> Janet
>>
>> Behalf Of Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 5:44 PM
>>
>> As far as I know, you won't have to set up security if all you want to
>> do is use the program Mivcrosoft provides with Windows.  As I recall,
>> its system Defender.
>>
>> You may want to use something in addition such as Malware Bytes but
>> System Defender is a highly rated program and you will be unlikely to
>> need something else unless you want to use something like Malwaare Bytes.
>>
>> You will have to go through some sort of procedure as has been
>> discussed here when you first use the computer.  Aside from what you
>> are discussing, the only thing I can think of is to set up your
>> computer to work with your WIFI, unless at home, you are going to
>> connect your computer to your router by cable.  I don't know enough
>> about how you set up your computer to work with your WIFI to discuss
>> it.  When I had my modem set up here, the serviceman set up my laptop
>> to work with it.  I think AT&T does that for customers when a router is connected by them.
>>
>> Gene
>> Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 5:19 PM
>> To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
>> Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up A New Laptop Question Please.
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I'm just curious if Windows Ten is already installed on my Laptop,
>> what might be left that I would need to do? I know I will need to set
>> up an email program, install my screen reader, set up security though.
>> Just so I know what to expect when I bring home my Laptop.  I know how
>> to plug it in though!  LOL!
>> Janet
>>
>> Peace Be With You.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.