Re: Laptops vs Computer laptops Question Please.

Monte Single

Hi Juan,

If it is an “open box” item at bestbuy,  would the usual 1 year warranty apply?

I purchased a used hp desktop from amazon about 18 months ago.

It has a 6th gen I 5 processor with 8 gig of ddr4 ram.

It’s a little slow decompressing large, 30 gig files, and converting  books from text to speech, but that’s fine.

I’m not trying to prevent a cataclysm with it.

If I get 2 or 3 years use out of it, that’s fine.

99 per cent of us do not need the latest and the greatest.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Juan Gonzalez via groups.io
Sent: January 4, 2021 6:41 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Laptops vs Computer laptops Question Please.

The one that I currently have is the Lenovo legion but again it’s a gaming computer so might be over kill for what you are looking for. Best buy has been doing that more recently, selling open box items. They are not bad it might just be some one opened it didn’t like it and returned it. I am sure they have inspected it to make sure everything is like new but you can always tell them that you want a brand new one. That sales person doesn’t sound like a good one if he didn’t tell you what you were buying. I got one of those when I went in so I went to a different best buy and got a better sales person. I almost bought an Asus gaming computer because of the keyboard layout and everything being so nicely spaced out but it did not have a number pad. It really depends on how much you are looking to spend, if you want to save some money you can get an i5 9th generation processer to save some money and you would not notice the difference in speed with the 10 generation. I would safely go back as far as a 6 generation i5 processer for what you are looking to do.

Juan Gonzalez

IT – DAX Analyst/IT Support Technician | Information Technology

Phone: 312 .666.1331 Ext. 3704

www.chicagolighthouse.org

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 3:50 PM

Hi Juan,

I did go in to the Best Buy store, and I felt the keys on the Asus, and I did like that as it also had a NumPad.  I just didn’t know it was what Best Buy calls out of the box, as the salesmen never told me that.  I also seen a HP Laptop I liked, and I also seen a Dell Laptop I liked, but I now don’t know if all those Laptops are out of the box, meaning someone could have brought it back to the store as a trade in after they might have had it for several months or even a year.  Although, as I am searching online, I have noticed the Asus Laptops now have the Intell processor instead of the AMD Risen like the one I bought.  So, I don’t really know what all that means.  Can you tell me what kind of keyboard you have with those keys, as that sounds like something I would like as well, or is it the Lenovo one you currently have? I had a Lenovo a few weeks ago, and the problem I had with the keys on the keyboard, was the keys would stick down in the board when I pressed them.  The keys were to large for my fingers, and they were to many different shapes, meaning some of them were long, some of them were short. 

Thank you for all this. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Juan Gonzalez via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 3:40 PM

A great method of finding the right laptop for you is to go into a computer shop and have some hands on with the laptop. I personally do not like the crammed keyboards so I went in and found one that has great spacing. I also wanted one with a number pad and this one had it. I also would stay with any of the intel core I5  computers or  AMD Ryzen 5 and up for processors. 8 GB Ram and SSD of 250 GB or higher.

Lenovo is my computer manufacture of choice right now but that doesn’t mean there isn’t other good computers in the dell, hp, lineups.

Juan Gonzalez

IT – DAX Analyst/IT Support Technician | Information Technology

Phone: 312 .666.1331 Ext. 3704

www.chicagolighthouse.org

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 3:17 PM

Hi,

Thank you for this.  I won’t be doing any gaming or video though.  I want a Laptop basically for using email, basic editing,  etc.  So I know what I want, but trying to find it is another thing.  LOL!  

Janet    

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Fawaz Abdul rahman
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 2:44 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Hi these are like model names, think pad and ideapad from Linovo as far as I know and vivobook from Asus.

They are like series, and you can find plenty of models in that series, just as for example, iPad pro 2018, 2020 etc.

Naturally 2020 model will have more updated specs  such as processor or ram etc.

Think pad for example 14inch laptop with intel processer and several models coming either i5 or i7 and all of them U which means low energy consumption.

So all of them laptop just different companies and different models.

You have others similar to these, dell xps, hp specter etc.

To know which one you should pick, first decide for what you are getting the device for, if heavy gaming or video editing etc, these are not so good, but for productivity and portability, these are perfect.

And laptops which are for gaming and more than 14-15 inch will be not so great with portability hence they will be quite heavy.

Good luck.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 11:30 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Laptops vs Computer laptops Question Please.

Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Laptop ThinkPad or an IdeaPad or a Vivobook Laptop, as opposed to a computer Laptop? I am doing some searching on line about the Laptop Vivobook I recently bought, as it is showing this is not a new Laptop, and I didn't know that as the salesmen at Best Buy didn't tell me that.  So I am seeing sales for computer Laptops and ThinkPad Laptops, IdeaPad Laptops, Vivobook Laptops, but then I see different prices for computer Laptops. 

Thank you all for any help in this. 

Janet   

Janet oppsode

Peace Be With You.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.