Re: my computer no longer plays wave files

Blaster

Okay, Then your using Media Player, not Media Player classic. You can
check this by running this from the run command line: mplayer2.exe

This is the executable file for Media Player.

I'll keep poking around to see if I can find anything else,
Blaster

On 1/8/21, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

There is no Options choice in the view menu. I saw Refresh, but this is, of
course, not a reset.

None of the options shows Reset.

Joeblaster,

From: Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm sorry it didn't work. I believe you said there is one player you
can
play files in. If you set that player as the default, do things play
as
desired?

From: Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:24 pm

I meant control o.

From: Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:20 pm

You can probably play files within the program, even if you can't
by
pressing enter on them in the list outside of the program.
In Windows media player, press control to open the open dialog.
Shift
tab
once or twice, I'm don't know just how things are set up in
Windows
10.
You can get to a list of files and folders. If you back space you
will
move
back from where you are toard the c drive. If you backspace more,
you
will
be in a list and computer will be one of the items. Press enter
Move to the drive, I think it is an external drive, and press
enter.
Move
to where you want to be as usual on the drive. Try playing a
file.
After
that, we can see if you can play files as you wish, perhaps
selected
files
or an entire folder.

From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@gmail.com>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, January 2, 2021 1:34 pm

Joe, Everything I wrote was for Windows 7, not Windows 10 as
you
mentioned that in your first post. The ninite.com website
removes
all
adware before you download it to your PC, that's why I suggested
the
K-lite codec pack, and yes it does work in Windows 7. But since
it
opened and played in the media player classic it's safe to
assume
you've got a working codec for .wav files installed. So, If you
want
to get rid of web advisor first then go to your control panel,
then
find the add and remove programs section and remove the McAffee
Web
Advisor. You will probably need to remove the entire McAfee
suite
if
it's like all of the other McAfee products that I've dealt with
in
the
past. I think the only other option, that is if you want to keep
the
McAfee suite, is to temporarily disable it when you need to
accomplish
a task that it's blocking and I think that's got to be done in
whatever browser your using. I'm no fan of McAfee, so I'd get
rid
of
it, but that's your choice.

As far as the file explorer issue, I'm not sure why your getting
different fly-out window on the open with screen, as arrowing
down
should give you a list of programs associated with .wav files
followed
by the choose another program option. Mike may have something
there,
so try arrowing to the right instead of down to see if the menu
is
horizontal. If that doesn't work, we're not sunk yet, Press the
windows key on your keyboard and type "file associations" in the
type
in field and press the enter key. This should open the file
associations window, where you can skim through the list until
you
find the .wav format and then choose the program you want to
associate
with this file type manually. Follow the instructions at the
top
of
the page and see if that works for you. If you have any
troubles,
just
post back here to the list.

HTH,
Blaster

On 1/2/21, Mike B <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:
The folders in Explorer may not be in a list so, try using
your
right
and
left arrow keys.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@gmail.com>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:05 pm

Joe, You don't really have to know what the codec files are
exactly,
only that they are installed on your pc. Windows will pick
and
choose
which ones it wants whenever it wants one. But, Here's
something
else
you can try. Just in case your file associations got a
little
mixed
up between audio programs, you can re-associate the .wav file
type
with your media player. I'm not sure if specific codecs are
tied

file associations, but it's worth a try.

Press the windows key on your keyboard and tap the letter E
key
open a file explorer window.

Navigate to a folder where you keep your .wav files.

Arrow up or down to select a .wav file.

Press the context key on your keyboard, shift key plus the
F10
key
if
you use a laptop, to open the context window.

Arrow up or down until you come to the selection titled "Open
with"
and press the right-arrow key to open the fly-out window.

Even though media player is in this list, arrow down to the
selection
titled "choose another program" and press the enter key.

In this window, Tap the tab key until you get to a list of
programs,
In this list, arrow down to media player and then tap the tab
key
jump down to a check box that says always use this program to
open
the
associated file type.

Press the space bar to check the box and then tab to the OK
button
and
press the enter key.

You'll be taken back to the file explorer where your .wav
file
should
still be selected, so press the enter key on it and see if it
opens
in
media player and starts to pley.

Good luck,
Blaster

On 1/1/21, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@gmail.com> wrote:
David, just to say that your suggestion does not work with
Win
7.

I looked at codecs but they are more complicated than my
pay
grade.

I hope you or others have more ideas.

Thank you.