Re: my computer no longer plays wave files

Gene

But we are getting into procedures that we don't know if they are at all likely to work and may not be a good use of time. As I recall, the problem isn't just with one player. I believe that many players were tried. This thread has been going on, with intervals where it was inactive for perhaps aweek and some people discussing the problem may not know what came before.

Will the person with the problem please verify if I am right, that the problem isn't limited to one player but is a general problem?

From: Blaster
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2021 1:43 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] my computer no longer plays wave files

Joe, Media player is part of Windows 7 features so re-installing it
is a little different from uninstalling or re-installing a regular
program. Here are the steps to uninstall and re-install the media
player.

Press the Windows key and type "windows features" into the search
field; then press "Enter" to open the Windows Features window.

Tab around the screen until you find the link that says "turn windows
features on or off" and then press the enter key.

Give it a moment to load the results and then arrow down the list
until you find "Media player" or "Media features" and clear the
checkbox by pressing the spacebar.

Tab to the bottom of the list and press the enter key on the "OK" button.

You need to restart your PC to make the changes take effect.

When you get back from the restart, go back around and follow these
instructions again but this time check the checkbox to re-install the
media player or media features.

HTH,
Blaster

On 1/8/21, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi Joe,

If you sent that file as an attachment, this list doesn't allow attachments

so, you'll have to send it to him privately.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

From: gbmagoo@...
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, January 8, 2021 10:12 am

Joe,

Send me one file and I will see what the issue is.

Thanks

george

From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm sorry it didn't work. I believe you said there is one player you
can play files in. If you set that player as the default, do things
play as desired?

From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:24 pm

I meant control o.

From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:20 pm

You can probably play files within the program, even if you can't
by pressing enter on them in the list outside of the program.
In Windows media player, press control to open the open dialog.
Shift tab once or twice, I'm don't know just how things are set up
in Windows 10.
You can get to a list of files and folders. If you back space you
will move back from where you are toard the c drive. If you
backspace more, you will be in a list and computer will be one of
the items. Press enter Move to the drive, I think it is an
external drive, and press enter.
Move
to where you want to be as usual on the drive. Try playing a file.
After
that, we can see if you can play files as you wish, perhaps
selected files or an entire folder.

From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@...>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, January 2, 2021 1:34 pm

Joe, Everything I wrote was for Windows 7, not Windows 10 as
you mentioned that in your first post. The ninite.com website
removes all adware before you download it to your PC, that's why
I suggested the K-lite codec pack, and yes it does work in
Windows 7. But since it opened and played in the media player
classic it's safe to assume you've got a working codec for .wav
files installed. So, If you want to get rid of web advisor
first then go to your control panel, then find the add and
remove programs section and remove the McAffee Web Advisor. You
will probably need to remove the entire McAfee suite if it's
like all of the other McAfee products that I've dealt with in
the past. I think the only other option, that is if you want to
keep the McAfee suite, is to temporarily disable it when you
need to accomplish a task that it's blocking and I think that's
got to be done in whatever browser your using. I'm no fan of
McAfee,
so I'd get rid of it, but that's your choice.

As far as the file explorer issue, I'm not sure why your getting
a different fly-out window on the open with screen, as arrowing
down should give you a list of programs associated with .wav
files followed by the choose another program option. Mike may
have something there, so try arrowing to the right instead of
down to see if the menu is horizontal. If that doesn't work,
we're not sunk yet, Press the windows key on your keyboard and
type "file associations" in the type in field and press the
enter key. This should open the file associations window, where
you can skim through the list until you find the .wav format and
then choose the program you want to associate with this file
type manually. Follow the instructions at the top of the page
and see if that works for you. If you have any troubles, just
post
back here to the list.

HTH,
Blaster

On 1/2/21, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
The folders in Explorer may not be in a list so, try using
your right and left arrow keys.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

From: Blaster <blaster.nil8@...>
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, January 1, 2021 10:05 pm

Joe, You don't really have to know what the codec files are
exactly, only that they are installed on your pc. Windows
will pick and choose which ones it wants whenever it wants
one. But, Here's something else you can try. Just in case
your file associations got a little mixed up between audio
programs, you can re-associate the .wav file type with your
media player. I'm not sure if specific codecs are tied to
file associations, but it's worth a try.

Press the windows key on your keyboard and tap the letter E
key to open a file explorer window.

Navigate to a folder where you keep your .wav files.

Arrow up or down to select a .wav file.

Press the context key on your keyboard, shift key plus the
F10 key if you use a laptop, to open the context window.

Arrow up or down until you come to the selection titled "Open
with"
and press the right-arrow key to open the fly-out window.

Even though media player is in this list, arrow down to the
selection titled "choose another program" and press the enter
key.

In this window, Tap the tab key until you get to a list of
programs, In this list, arrow down to media player and then
tap the tab key to jump down to a check box that says always
use this program to open the associated file type.

Press the space bar to check the box and then tab to the OK
button and press the enter key.

You'll be taken back to the file explorer where your .wav
file should still be selected, so press the enter key on it
and see if it opens in media player and starts to pley.

Good luck,
Blaster

On 1/1/21, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@...> wrote:
David, just to say that your suggestion does not work with
Win 7.

I looked at codecs but they are more complicated than my
pay grade.

I hope you or others have more ideas.

Thank you.

Joe G.