Re: longevity of braille printers?

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Just as a point of interest, how do you brave gals and guys live with braille embossers in your homes?  They are noisy beasts you know, and i don't think I can take the noise levels when they are embossing braille in my sitting room.  Perhaps the newer embossers are quieter, but oh my sainted aunt! those oldies do certain cause a racket.  Cheers!

On 17/1/2021 1:56 am, Donald L. Roberts wrote:

Josh and other interested persons,

My Juliet Classic purchased in 1994 is still going strong.  The funny thing is that I purchased it used for $1500 1994 dollars.  It is so old that I have to use it with a USB to parallel adapter.

Don Roberts

On 1/16/2021 8:11 AM, Monte Single wrote:

That’s a pretty big question.

If the printer is being used for personal use, it could last for many many years.

As with all electronics,  keep it cool, dry and dust free.

I worked for a school board and one of it’s embossers, a  single sided versapoint, purchased in 1991  was still working in 2011 when I left that department.

It was a lightly used umbosser.

Others will have greater experience.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: January 16, 2021 9:32 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] longevity of braille printers?

Hi,

I just bought a new viewPlus compatible braille buddy embosser as you may know… My question is: how many years can I expect it to last? And how do I set the correct paper size for embossing on those junkmail postcard-type flyers I get in the mail? Or will I need one of those plastic braille rulers from APH to measure paper sizes before embossing?

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.