Re: I am trying NVDA for the first time. Is it hard tolearn? and are there tutorials I can get? I am running windows ten. Jim

heather albright

The only thing I do not like for NVDA is their OCR is not that good. So it is better if one uses jaws. Also, the review cursor could be better so I use jaws if I need to use jaws to pc cursor for an action. You do not use insert keys like one does with jaws if your using the mom pad. So say you want to read a file from where you left off, you would do insert down arrow instead of insert 2 like one does with jaws. You will be using the insert keys with the arrows. If you want to see which application is loaded with insert q, you will be telling NVDA to unload the program. So it is little differences. So after a few days it will not be so trying. For some reason, NVDA has issues with imbedded  links an e-mails and it will not click on them so I usually select the link and run the dialogue and paste the link.If you want to start using NVDA from jaws, try using both on your pc and start out with certain tasks like reading a book or checking e-mail. When you get used to those tasks, try using it online and navigate web sites. There really does not seem to have much differences but, that is where I found the review cursor was lacking unlike the jaws to pc cursor and discovered their OCR had some issues unlike jaws OCR. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 3:30 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I am trying NVDA for the first time. Is it hard tolearn? and are there tutorials I can get? I am running windows ten. Jim

I don't know how you use your computer.  A lot of what you do will be the

same because a lot of what you do is using program and Windows commands.

Some commands, such as read title bar, are the same.  Web page navigation

commands are just about identical.

There is a page for those beginning to use NVDA who now use JAWS.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

There is training material available from NVDA that you can pay for.  There

is other material done by users.  I don't follow that subject enough to

discuss it much.  I suspect, though I don't know this, that some training

material is discussed on the transition page I'm sending the link for.

Whatever the case, if you do a Google search for NVDA training material, you

will find resources.

learn? and are there tutorials I can get? I am running windows ten. Jim