Re: longevity of braille printers?

Josh Kennedy

the braille buddy that I have is about the size of an hp inkjet printer or one of those small cannon inkjet printers. It is sitting on a coffee table beside my laptop, on its own coffee table. I have a small work area. Oh and did I mention this embosser hardly vibrates the table at all even during heavy embossing... It's about 10 to 11 pounds in weight. So if I want to I can easily move it off that table after unplugging it and put something else there such as my electric perkins brailler. Only thing I do not like is the USB connection port is underneath the tractor feed mechanism. Unless I get a bigger work area I think I will always be using cut sheet paper with this braille printer. That is fine though, I printed several pages with it and unlike index embossers, I have had absolutely no paper jams yet! I love this little printer! I think there are ways, though, to reduce its cost such as reduce speed by 25 percent down to 18cps, get rid of tractor feed option, and make TSS rtiger software suite an additional optional purchase rather than including it. After all, people can use braille blaster for basic printing and its a smart printer so you can set legacy printing options for old devices such as brailleNotes and duxbury and braille blaster and print from those devices. It also does microbraille, normal, and jumbo braille with tactile graphics up to 20 dots per inch with higher dots representing darker colors and lighter lower dots representing lighter colors if you wish. You can also print tactile graphics directly from microsoft paint or ms-word. I like how it draws a text box as a tactile graphic and wraps the text that is outside or around the box, left and around the bottom of the box drawn as a tactile graphic. Back to lower cost embossers, I hope someday irie-at or some other company builds and sells viewPlus tiger software suite compatible braillerap embossers from www.braillerap.com   ...