Re: really bad NVDA issues

heather albright

Yes, thank you  again, I was able to fix my issues and copied the notes in the e-mail to my page brake file for NVDA. We are finding out some of our electronics do not work anymore and I will worry about that later. I just got off the phone with one of my friends who still has to boil water and another who does not have water yet. We still do not have adequate resources for food and supplies down here. SO thank you for helping me fix my NVDA issues! Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Mike B
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 12:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] really bad NVDA issues

Hi Heather,

Here are 2 sets of steps:

 I was able to make the screen reader not announce page breaks, not take them out. I followed jene’s directions as follows:
The steps to ignore page breaks with NVDA.

Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu.

Down arrow to, Preferences, and press enter.

Down arrow to,  Punctuation  / Symbol Pronunciation, press enter, and down arrow 1 time.

Now shift + tab 1 time to, Filter by edit , and type, page break, then down arrow to find, page break.

Now tab to, level combo box and select All in the combobox, tab to okay and press enter.

Now press, Insert + N, to open the NVDA menu, arrow up to Save Configuration, and press enter.

Gene

From:
Steven Johnson
Hi everyone.  Sorry I'm late to the party.  I only caught the tail end of this thread, so if you folks have already figured this out, please just hit delete.
I had this problem with long strings of equals signs in a document that I was reading with NVDA, but the same thing worked for me in NVDA when I told it
to not say page break.  I did the following:
1.  With NVDA running, hit the NVDA key with N.  In my case, NVDA key  was the insert key.
2.  Down  arrow once and you will reach preferences submenu, and hit right arrow.
3.  Arrow down twice and you will reach punctuation/symbol pronunciation.
4.  You will land on a list of 3359 different symbols that you can change the pronunciation of by NVDA.  Page break is symbol number 3225 on this gigantic
list in my version of NVDA which is March 1, 2019.
Note: Shift + Tab, and type, page break, then tab 1 time back into the list and you should be on, page break.
5.  Once you finally find page break, hit tab once or twice to  hear NVDA report say "change selected symbol grouping."  Now, just hit the spacebar, and
NVDA will say "Selection removed."
6.  Now, just tab to the okay button and hit enter.  After doing that, you might be thrown completely out of the NVDA menus.  Just go back into them with
NVDA key plus N, arrow down to save configuration and hit enter.  Now, when you read your document either with arrows or with say all, NVDA will not say
Page Break.

Hope this helps someone.
Steve

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.