Brave Browser Is Taking On Google!

Janet

Good Morning Everyone,

Just thought some might be interested in reading about what I copied and pasted below. I think this is wonderful news, in which I definitely welcome. I myself have signed up and am currently on the waiting list!

Janet

Brave Is Launching a Privacy-Focused Search Engine to Compete With Google
ANDREW HEINZMAN
MAR 4, 2021, 11:27 AM EST | 1 min read
The Brave logo with some art assets related to its search engine.
Brave
secured your web activity, and now it wants to secure your search results. The underdog browser, which grew to over
26 million
users last year, is gearing up to launch
Brave Search,
a "
private
alternative to Google Search" without any trackers or "algorithmic bias." Brave Search will take on the big dogs, including
DuckDuckGo,
the most popular private search engine.
Of course, Brave isn't building its search engine from scratch-the company will instead base Brave Search on
Tailcat,
a privacy-focused search engine from the crew
at Cliqz
a now-bankrupt fork of Mozilla's European division. Brave aquired the Tailcat search engine in March 2021 and
suggests
that it's a suitable foundation for Brave Search thanks to its privacy-focused code.
Unsurprisingly, the Brave blog post announcing Brave Search includes a list of tenets. You can read the full manifesto on
Brave's blog,
or skim this quick summary:
list of 7 items
1. Privacy : Brave Search doesn't track users.
2. User-First : Brave Search focuses on users, not advertisers.
3. Ad-Free Option : Users can pay for ad-free search results.
4. Anonymized Crawling : Big tech companies spend billions to "crawl" websites and generate search results. Brave Search relies on anonymous community
contributions instead.
5. Anti-Bias : Brave Search doesn't use algorithms to create biased search results or censor websites.
6. It's Fast : Brave Search connects to the browser and offers instant results as you type.
7. Open Engine : Anyone can use Brave Search to develop their own search engine.
It's worth mentioning that Brave Search does use algorithms, but it provides filters (or "
Goggles
") to let you modify how the algorithm ranks content. These filters could provide additional transparency for Brave Search, or help early-adopters refine
their search results on the fly.
Want to try Brave Search? Brave hasn't clarified when its search engine will go live, but you can sign up for the
waitlist
today for early access. You could also try
DuckDuckGo,
another privacy-oriented search engine.
WAITLIST
Brave Search
Want to be first in line for the privacy-focused Brave Search? Plug your email address into the waitlist today!
Source:
Brave
via
Tech Crunch