Re: Printer Sharing On A Network

Ron Canazzi

Hi Cochise,

When I follow the steps you suggest on the computer that is connected to the printer, I get to the sharing tab under properties and I get a message that this printer cannot be shared on the network.  The printer is a Brother HL-L3210CW Series.  What could be causing this issue?

On 3/20/2021 10:01 PM, Cochise wrote:
You did not mention which OS. Here are instructions
for Windows 10.

To share a printer on Windows 10 (assuming it's already installed), use
these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Devices.

Click on Printers & scanners.

Under the "Printer & scanners" section, select the printer that you want to
share.

Click the Manage button.

Windows 10 manage printer settings

Source: Windows Central

Click the Printer properties option.

Settings Printer Properties Option

Source: Windows Central

Click the Sharing tab.

Check the Share this printer option.

In the "Share name" field, specify a new short and descriptive name. (If
this is the only printer on the network, you can use the default name.)

Share printer on Windows 10

Source: Windows Central

Click the Apply button.

Click the OK button.

After you complete the steps, the printer will be available to network
users, but only if the computer is on.

Connect computer to shared printer

To connect devices to the shared printer, use these steps:

Open Settings.

Click on Devices.

Click on Printer & scanners.

Click the Add a printer or scanner button.

Select the printer from the list.

(Optional) If the discovery feature doesn't work, click The printer that I
want isn't listed option.

Printer not listed on Windows 10

Source: Windows Central

Choose the Select a shared printer by name option.

Type the path of the printer location:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\PRINTER-SHARE-NAME

Configure shared printer using IP address

Source: Windows Central

In the command, make sure to change the "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and
"PRINTER-SHARE-NAME" for the IP address (or computer name) and name of the
printer.

Quick tip: You can also click the Browse button to select the shared
printer.

Click the Next button.

Click the Install driver button (if applicable).

(Optional) Specify an name of the printer connection. For example, Network
Printer.

Printer connected to Windows 10

Source: Windows Central

Click the Next button.

Click the Finish button.

Once you complete the steps, you should be able to successfully send a print
job to the network printer.