Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene

I should add that one choice I didn't state clearly is to use the machine as it is. I don't know if that is a good choice since I don't know what you can't do and how important it is to you.

From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having said that,
two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe. Have your data
files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they should be anyway,
browse sites that are considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your
antimalware definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in
protection is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all
your data files backed up to be placed on the next machine. Keep the drive
you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine when you aren't
using it. You should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should
become infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what happens,
reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should be done until
after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a reputable repair place
and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the choices
are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or quite a small
one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well after you try a
reset. It may solve your problems, at least temporarily, however. And if
necessary, whatever happens with the reset, you can reinstall Windows from
scratch if you wish or take it to a shop and have it done. If you can't do
things that are important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows
if a reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she may
find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a reset or
reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is, however, and you may
end up spending more than you want with the result that the problems aren't
solved or that not all are.