Re: Enabling line-in in Windows 10

Howard Traxler

Back in the day, the magnetic cartrage was the thing; whether it be moving magnet or moving coil.  This cartrage required an additional stage of pre-amplification.  Feeding it directly into a sound card (to my knowledge) just wouldn't work.  Hence I have a discrete pre-amp for between the turntable and sound card; or my stereo receiver has a magnetic cartrage input that does the same thing.

Back in the day, I was very critical of the sound that was produced; however, at my age, my hearing is not what it was andmost of my music listening is for background.  So, sound doesn't need to be as good as 40 years ago.

Howard

On 4/3/2021 10:48 AM, Gene wrote:
> It appears to me that most people who aren't fanatical audiofiles but > know good sound record from a preamp output. that is not to > disparage fanatical audiofiles. Different people really care about > different things. The phono preamp on my receiver is highly rated > for its phono preamp output. Others may wish to comment on this, > but I would think phono preamp outputs are in general flat or within > whatever tolerance is expected. > > I saw an interesting post in a forum today when I was looking up > information on the question and it says that you can remove pops and > clicks more accurately if you do so before applying the RIAA curve. > https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73005.0 I don't know > if that is true and I don't have the technical knowledge to comment > on that. > > As you will see from the forum discussion, you can make this > enormously complicated for what I consider very questionable > improvements in quality. Every improvement you make beyond a certain > point yields increasingly less benefit. and recordds have a problem. > The high end becomes less as you get closer to the end of a side and > it is noticeable close to the end. Also, in my experience, near the > end of a side, the sound sounds more compressed, though I don't know > if that is the correct term or the technically proper description. I > can say, however, that if you listen to the last few minutes of a > record and then immediately play the beginning, a dramatic difference > is heard. > > Given that records are, in my opinion, idealized, is it really worth > all the time and trouble some people lavish on digitizing them? . I > wouldn't dispute the importance of a good cartridge and tone arm for > those concerned with good sound. And a lossless format would be > important to many people who care about really good sound. But as I > said, I think that the diminishing returns of improvements makes it > very questionable whether they are worth making beyond a certain > point. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: John Holcomb II Sent: Saturday, > April 03, 2021 10:14 AM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: > [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > In the end as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Just hope > that preamp out is a flat output. John > > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Sent: Saturday, April 03, > 2021 11:08 AM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] > Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > The right way varies from person to person. I know good sound but > I'm not concerned with whether I have the best possible sound. I > used my receiver and recorded using a good sound card and a turntable > with a good low density tone arm. I don't intend to rerecord > anything. I am satisfied with the sound I have, which is good, not > the best possible sound. > > There is no right way. it depends on what the person wants and > expects. I am very skeptical that any meaningful difference is > obtained by connecting directly to a sound card than by using the > preamp of a good stereo and the line-in of a sound card. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: John Holcomb II Sent: Saturday, > April 03, 2021 9:04 AM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: > [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > For me I say do it once and do it right the first time. Plus ware and > tear on records as you play them more, etc etc. John > > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Sent: Saturday, April 03, > 2021 6:53 AM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] > Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > That may be and maybe if someone has really good audiofile equipment, > it may matter but it wouldn't for most people. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: John Holcomb II Sent: Friday, > April 02, 2021 10:10 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: > [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > Yeah but if you want the cleanest signal, then your best bet is to > go direct from table to card without other things in the middle. > John > > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Sent: Friday, April 02, > 2021 9:34 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] > Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > I wouldn't assume that is needed or proper. it sounds as though you > are talking about a sound card with its own preamp that connects > directly to the turntable. If you are connecting the sound card to a > stereo using the line out connectors or connecting the soundcard to a > preamp and the turntable is already connected to the preamp, the > sound is already properly equalized. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: John Holcomb II Sent: Friday, > April 02, 2021 6:58 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: > [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > You for sure would. Get a sound card with RIAA levels for vinyl > while you're at it. John > > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson Sent: Friday, > April 02, 2021 6:51 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: > [TechTalk] Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > Thank you Gene. It would be a crying shame if the second jack on my > laptop only functions as a microphone jack, especially since this > particular HP laptop has really decent working internal mics when the > computer's fan isn't running. I'm trying to digitize a bunch of > vinyl, so I probably would do myself a favor by switching over to a > better sound card. > > -----Original Message----- From: main@TechTalk.groups.io > <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Sent: Friday, April 2, > 2021 1:39 PM To: main@TechTalk.groups.io Subject: Re: [TechTalk] > Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > the problem may be that the jack is not for both, but just a > microphone jack. I haven't had a computer with such a combination. > Since you can find nothing, even when a source is connected, maybe > that means the jack is just for a microphone. You may get help from > someone with such a combination, but it may be that you will have to > purchase a USB external sound card with a line-in jack. > > Gene -----Original Message----- From: Steven Johnson Sent: Friday, > April 02, 2021 3:34 PM To: techtalk@groups.io Subject: [TechTalk] > Enabling line-in in Windows 10 > > > > I have a laptop with a stereo microphone array and 2 jacks on the > side; one for headphones and one apparently for line-in/external > microphone. I find that the line-in option is missing from my input > devices under sound settings, even after plugging in the audio source > that I want to record with > > my computer. I googled the problem, and the instructions that I > found say to right-click on speakers in the system tray or sound on > the taskbar, go to > > sound settings and under the record tab, enable line in. I am unable > to find what they are talking about. Anyone know a better method for > enabling line-in on my laptop? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.