Re: Braille Displays

Joe Orozco

Cristóbal,

What factors are you considering when deciding between the Orbit 40
and the Mantis 40? I mean, other than one is Perkins keyboard and the
other QWERTY? I'm sitting on a Braille Sense U2 at the moment. It is a
fully functional notetaker but is no longer being supported by HIMS.
I'm actually satisfied with what it does. I'm drawn to the Mantis,
because although I don't mind typing in Braille, the Braille
translation on iOS, in my personal opinion, leaves something to be
desired. The Mantis would eliminate that issue and provide me Braille.
The Orbit, on the other hand, is $1,100 cheaper, and based on my
observation of the 20-cell model, has excellent Braille quality. I'm
not the biggest fan of the space bar located below the Braille
display, which, I know, is probably shallow of me and likely something
I could get used to. Anyway, thanks in advance for your response.

Joe

On 4/6/21, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@gmail.com> wrote:
I am reluctant to invest so much money on any Android based display or note
taker. When you start talking about five or six thousand dollar devices, I
don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to use such a device for
many many years. Being Android based as some of these newer devices are,
that's just simply not going to be the case.
I made a similar argument to Brian Hartgen over Twitter when he was touting
the Polaris a a business friendly device. He dismissed me at first saying
that he was speaking as a business owner and that the price tag hesitancy
thing was lazy thinking or some such thing and when I informed him that I
too was a business owner and still wasn't sold on the price tag, he blocked
me. Talk about thin skinned.... But hey, at least he had the "manners" to
tell me that he was going to block me before he did so... What a swell guy.
Some people.
Back in 2011, I was debating whether to get an Apex that was almost $6000
but instead opted for a 40 cell Brailliant BI and iPad and iPhone. That
Brailliant lasted me over ten years and hung around outlasting something
like 5 iPhone models and three iPads. Granted, the iOS and Braille
experience wasn't always the best, but combining the display with various
iOS devices over the years at least in my mind, gave me way more
productivity and more bang for my buck than a display where the OS
traditionally isn't supported for maybe more than three or four years.
Even then, the Apex would've lasted way longer than some of these newer
Smart note taker/display hybrids.
I recently scored a Freedom Scientific F80 Braille display on eBay for $305.
I first wrote the seller asking if everything worked, and they replied that
yes, all cells, connectors and buttons were functional. I had my sighted
wife look at the pictures and she was able to read me the serial number off
of the display. I called Vispero and asked about its history and if it had
ever been serviced and I was informed that it was serviced and cleaned back
in 2016. The 80 cell display was from back in 2006. This thing is huge. I'm
talking a beast of a display, but so far, so good. I've got it set up at my
desktop workstation and now I've got a fully functional 80 cell display that
back in the day went for almost $8000. Side note, looks like this seller's
got some sort of hookup or something. At the time that I purchased it, they
had two devices up for sale. Since then, I believe they've posted four more
80 cell displays. Again for roughly $300. Keep in mind, you're talking about
devices that are really long in the tooth, so buyer beware and all that.
Their postings are easy enough to find. You just have to search for Braille
display or something along those lines. There aren't too many on at any
given time.
I still have the Brailliant BI 40, but it's a refurbished model Humanware
provided me as a replacement for my old display that I sent in late last
year to be fixed, but got lost by UPS. Fine by me. It cost me nothing and
now my Brailliant was at least serviced and inspected by Humanware.
I'm thinking of selling my Brailliant and putting that money towards either
a Mantis 40 cell display or the Orbit Reader 40. I'm more inclined to opt
for a device that's maybe dumber as far as on board connectivity, but that I
know I can use for many years to come and not have to worry about it slowing
down or not being able to keep up with the demands that innovation sometimes
brings and just act as a display with maybe some built in file management
features. I mean, if I want Internet connectivity and all those bells and
whistles, that's what a smart phone or tablet and Bluetooth connections are
for.
Just my two cents.

Cristóbal