Re: more secure e-mail

heather albright

Well, I have google accounts and found out one of  my g-mail  was in the data hack from facebook. I always change all my passwords and have 2 factor on the accounts. I was just concerned with the e-mail being tied to my card or bank accounts. So I wanted to find out if fast mail would be a better service to have my accounts tied too for dealing with things like card accounts and the bank account. I use one of my accounts specifically for all the group lists and the other is for dealing with the bank and cards and any other personal info.

I was reading up on it, they say they get rid of spamm and blocks e-mail addresses to your account. I like google but,some spamm keeps getting my mail or I get spamm messages from friends who had their account hacked with porm.

I do not have a Microsoft account tied to my outlook account and I am running a windows local account. I noticed my icloud account never gets spam; go apple!

Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 6:08 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] more secure e-mail

Hello,

Often times, people don't want to use Google because of misconceptions, so it's fine, I think, for people to make recommendations. We all are on here knowing that we can choose to accept or reject any feedback anyone provides.

As for using Google or not using Google, a lot of times, people will make these snap product decisions because a product isn't doing something desirable, or is doing something undesirable. I would recommend that, before changing what you have been using, you examine your reasons, and you get to know the product you are using to determine if there are settings and options that can mitigate the undesirable behavior. Often times, people who use Google products are unhappy because they believe that Google is using information in ways which are undesirable. There are privacy and security settings which a user can change to limit what data Google does have and use. Often times, things go in the media that end up sensationalized. Simply reading terms of service and privacy policies may help quash those beliefs. These are simply examples. I don't know what the reason is for wanting to use Fastmail over Gmail, but I would say that you should be well-informed about that change. And finally, if you believe that Fastmail will provide better security or privacy than Google, I believe that belief is a bit misguided, although anyone can believe whatever they wish.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Hope Williamson <webspinner@...> wrote:

People don't wish to use Google as they're email service, and that's fine. There's no reason to question those decisions.

I haven't used Fastmail myself, but it's something I've been looking into. I'm pretty sure it's something you could use with a client like Thunderbird, if you wanted to.

On 4/8/2021 12:52 PM, Thomas N. Chan wrote:

Is there any reason why you  don't wish  to use google or microsoft as your email provider?

You can also pay them to get higher storage like google workspace and your own domain like yourdomain.com etc. 

As for Microsoft, its rather tie down to office as well.

Personally, I have been using Google ap, change name to G-suite and now workspace for my own email and work.

Then again, that also depend how much you are willing to pay for your email service.

Did your telco/provider gave you one email?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 01:51, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

Hello, I am thinking about purcheassing an e-mail service instead of using free e-mail from google or outlook. I was looking to fastmail as a possibility. Has anyone used this service before? Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.