From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 5:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microphone for Zoom

You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone as soon as you enter the meeting. As I said, you may want another microphone anyway, but you don't want to turn on and off a microphone when unmuted.
Doing so will make loud noises as the microphone power is stopped or started. If I were using a microphone with a switch, I would always leave it on and mute myself using Zoom. Indeed, many people use microphones that there is no convenient way to mute and unmute. I use the microphone in my laptop. I mute myself in Zoom, It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the microphone using Windows sound card controls. And in general, I think I can safely say that people mute themselves in Zoom rather than with the microphone itself. I use a much better solution so I don't have to worry about the microphone picking up the screen-reader. I use headphones, not the speakers while in a zoom meeting. I don't use USB headphones. I want to use my internal sound card and the microphone in my computer. So I use a set of headphones that connect using the headphone jack in the computer. If you do this, don't forget to lower play volume a lot before plugging in the headphones. There are times I want my microphone unmuted but I don't want my screen-reader to be heard. If casual conversation is occurring, and people are interjecting comments as they would in a conversation, I don't want to keep muting and unmuting the microphone. and when I talk, I don't want people to hear my screen-reader announce something like Bill has joined the meeting or announcing that Steve has sent a message. While these things don't usually happen when I'm speaking, I don't want them to.