From: Terrilynne Pomeroy
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 11:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microphone for Zoom

You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone as soon as you enter the meeting.
First, let me say that I am a newby at this, and may have some incorrect perceptions. But in the meetings I attend, the second I enter the meeting, I am on. The first time I did it, it was a women's meeting. Several women began talking about the sound of JAWS, some nice sounding guy attending the meeting. It depends on if the host of the meeting has everyone muted or not. Some hosts do, but most do not.

You said It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the microphone using Windows sound card controls.
I don't use any sound card controls. I either use the switch on the mic, or I use the mute button in Zoom. There is a keystroke for muting in Zoom, but when I tried it, I got a sound and JAWS asking me something and I had to hit enter, of course all narrated by JAWS.

You said, you may want another microphone anyway
And that is exactly why I wrote to the group asking if anyone had recommendations for such a mic.