Re: Microphone for Zoom

Gene

My point is that whether you get another microphone or not, you will still want to mute with Zoom or use headphones. Yes, the moment you join a meeting, you are on. If there is a JAWS being broadcast problem, it can be eliminated or reduced to almost insignificance by continuing to press control after you issue the command that starts your audio or whatever command you use. JAWS either won't speak or will barely begin and stop. Then, you use alt a for mute. I don't know what command you used. Alt a is never a JAWS command. Screen-readers never use alt plus letter commands because those are used for menu or ribbon short cut sequences. What command did you use?

You can test muting by going to this page if you live in The United States. I don't know if it works elsewhere in the world:
https://zoom.us/test

There is a join button on the page. When you activate it with the space bar, the process begins to join a meeting. Once you join, the test audio and microphone begins.

An audio pattern is played. You are asked if you can hear it. You will see this question by tabbing around. Tab to the yesss button and press the space bar.

You are then in the microphone test. Speak, stop speaking and wait to see if what you have spoken is echoed back. This is a way you can tell with no error or doubt if your microphone is on. If you know that, you may still want to get a different microphone but you may not want to get one now that you know one way to tell, without doubt or error, if it is on. This also tells you if your microphone volume is good.

After you test your microphone, tab to the close button and press the space bar. Now tab to the join with audio and press the space bar. There is a join with video button or something like it but since you are only testing audio now, you might as well use that one.

You will Then be in a meeting with you the only member. You can tab around and hear the different items offered in the interface. With an account,, there are more options but just to participate in a meeting, as far as I know, you don't need them.

Once you are actually in the test meeting, try the mute command and see what happens. I had a sluggish response at first, but I did hear a muted response. If you still have a problem transmitting speech until you mute yourself, You may be able to solve that problem by having the microphone either off or unplugged, then mute yourself, turn it on or connect it, then unmute yourself when you want to talk. Or you can eliminate the entire problem by using headphones, which many people do.

As I've said, you shouldn't use a mute/unmute switch on a microphone while in a meeting.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 11:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microphone for Zoom

You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone as soon as you enter the meeting.
First, let me say that I am a newby at this, and may have some incorrect perceptions. But in the meetings I attend, the second I enter the meeting, I am on. The first time I did it, it was a women's meeting. Several women began talking about the sound of JAWS, some nice sounding guy attending the meeting. It depends on if the host of the meeting has everyone muted or not. Some hosts do, but most do not.

You said It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the microphone using Windows sound card controls.
I don't use any sound card controls. I either use the switch on the mic, or I use the mute button in Zoom. There is a keystroke for muting in Zoom, but when I tried it, I got a sound and JAWS asking me something and I had to hit enter, of course all narrated by JAWS.

You said, you may want another microphone anyway
And that is exactly why I wrote to the group asking if anyone had recommendations for such a mic.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 5:21 PM

You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone as soon as you enter the meeting. As I said, you may want another microphone anyway, but you don't want to turn on and off a microphone when unmuted.
Doing so will make loud noises as the microphone power is stopped or started. If I were using a microphone with a switch, I would always leave it on and mute myself using Zoom. Indeed, many people use microphones that there is no convenient way to mute and unmute. I use the microphone in my laptop. I mute myself in Zoom, It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the microphone using Windows sound card controls. And in general, I think I can safely say that people mute themselves in Zoom rather than with the microphone itself. I use a much better solution so I don't have to worry about the microphone picking up the screen-reader. I use headphones, not the speakers while in a zoom meeting. I don't use USB headphones. I want to use my internal sound card and the microphone in my computer. So I use a set of headphones that connect using the headphone jack in the computer. If you do this, don't forget to lower play volume a lot before plugging in the headphones. There are times I want my microphone unmuted but I don't want my screen-reader to be heard. If casual conversation is occurring, and people are interjecting comments as they would in a conversation, I don't want to keep muting and unmuting the microphone. and when I talk, I don't want people to hear my screen-reader announce something like Bill has joined the meeting or announcing that Steve has sent a message. While these things don't usually happen when I'm speaking, I don't want them to.

Gene
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 6:01 PM

Hi Gene,
Since it is a toggle, there is not a position that gives you any information.

Also, I don't want it on because you are then broadcasting JAWS announcements while you are tabbing through the Zoom options to get things turned off.

I just want a mic that I can tell whether it is on or off by the position of the switch.

TerriLynne

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.